Happy new year everyone! With the new year, comes new Downton Abbey episodes! My mom and I are dedicated fans, watching every episode while texting each other notes, predictions and exclamations concerning character development.
Beyond the characters themselves, we love discussing the clothing, jewelry, traditions and manners -- and the food! What lovely meals!
For the Season 5 premiere I made these scones and they were delicious teamed with a hot cuppa tea and the drama of Downton.
Buttermilk Lemon Cranberry Scones
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla
zest of 1 lemon, plus juice
1 cup dried cranberries
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
2) Cut butter into pats -- using a fork, pastry blender, or my favorite-my hands, cut butter into flour until it is pea sized chunks. Add cranberries.
3) In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients (sour cream, buttermilk, egg, vanilla and lemon) until well blended. Pour into dry ingredients. Using a spatula, or again your hands, stir until it begins to clump together.
4) Gently knead dough on a floured surface until fully combined and smooth in texture. Shape in a circle, 8-10" across. Cut into 8 wedges. Place wedges on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
5) Brush wedges with a couple tablespoons buttermilk and sprinkle with a little sugar. Bake 15-18 minutes until golden brown.
6) Cool on a wire rack, and glaze if desired. I made a simple lemon & powdered sugar as seen in the picture, but only drizzled a couple scones. Truly, the scones don't need the glaze! As long as you don't over-bake, they are moist and tender.