September 23, 2011

Gluten Free 7Up biscuits


Yes, you read the title correctly. However, if I was being completely truthful they should be called Gluten-Free-Ginger-Ale-biscuits....

I found the recipe on Pinterest (isn't pinterest the BEST?!?) and decided to make it immediately. Except I didn't have any Bisquick - just gluten free bisquick. And I didn't have any 7Up. Or Sprite even. I had ginger ale though! Let's try this!

And we did.

And they were tasty.

(The pinterest pin led me to this blog: Plain Chicken. Please be sure to visit the original recipe and her wonderful blog!)

Gluten Free 7Up biscuits

2 cups Gluten Free Bisquick
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup 7Up ( or, you know, ginger ale)
1/4 cup melted butter

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. Using a fork or pastry blender, cut sour cream into bisquick. Add 7Up and stir well.  The dough may be sticky!
  3. Turn onto surface - dusted with more gluten free bisquick - and pat out. Keep it thick, because they don't rise! Cut into rounds.
  4. Pour melted butter in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan. Place biscuits in pan.
  5. Bake 10-15 minutes until golden brown.

Note: I did try the recipe, using a recipe for making my own bisquick and it was just as tasty!
Second Note: I didn't realize they wouldn't rise when I made these - that's why they are SO THIN!


post signature

5 comments:

Steph@PlainChicken.com said...

WOW - they look great!! I am going to share this recipe with my GF friends.

Samantha said...

GF Bisquick isn't too bad ... expensive .. but not too bad. They do look tasty! Thanks for the experiment, Kristen! Looking forward to making them for myself and kiddo one day soon!

Our Treasured Home said...

Great recipe! We need to share this with your aunt!

LMT2009 said...

I just made these and they turned out really nicely. I did make the following changes though, so the biscuits would rise more and not be super dense:
-3/4 c 7up (I used the kind with real sugar)
-Added 2 eggs
-Added 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar

So this version actually has 6 ingredients instead of 4, but as those of you who are gluten free know.. that's really not bad. The dough turns out more like a thick batter, so instead of patting it out, I made drop biscuits. I also used an 8x8 pan, making 9 large biscuits.

Anonymous said...

I have a question for LMT2009: I am not celiac, but at times, very wheat/ gluten intollerant. I tried the original 7up biscuits using regular Bisquick and they came out marvelous - so light and fluffy, and tasted like Popeye's biscuits. Anyway, I tried the recipe again with Bob's Red Mills Gluten-free biscuit mix, and even added baking powder, and they were dense and not anywhere near light and fluffy, although, not as flat as the pictures above. Have you ever made the original version and how does your recipe compare in lightness and fluffiness? I do not like eating dense "hockey pucks", lol. I also noticed that the regular Bisquick has canola oil, which I try to stay away from. Please, any feedback you, or anyone would have would be appreciated. Thanks! - Lisa