Soup can be so comforting; it's a perfect winter food. Warm and filling, it's easy to curl up with a steaming bowl and relax. It's also perfect when you are feeling under the weather - which I am now. I've almost lost my voice - but I'm looking forward to lunch because I will be cuddling up to a steaming bowl of today's recipe - Creamy Split Pea Soup.
Pea Soup isn't a normal recipe for me. I really wanted to try something new for todays This Week's Cravings - then I received a soup themed Betty Crocker newsletter. Yes! I altered the pea soup recipe they sent and made this.
Creamy Split Pea Soup
- 1 lb dry green split peas, rinsed
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tb dill
- 1 bay leaf
- In a 4 quart crock pot add water, peas, juice, carrot, garlic, bay leaf and salt.
- Cook on low for 10-11 hours; or on high 4-5 hours.
- If cooking on high, switch to low setting. Add whipping cream and dill. Stir and let simmer 10-15 minutes. Pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately. Or make extra creamy- use an immersion blendor or stand blender. Pulse until smooth.
This recipe was a nice suprise.
- You can't taste the carrots - once blended you can't even tell they're there. It's a great way to hide an extra veggie.
- I bet it freezes well.
- Even with cream as an ingredient, the calories are lower than you think because the overall quantity is so large. According to Betty Crocker, it's 300 calories a serving.
- What would have set this recipe just over the top? Bacon. Or some ham. Add one of these during step 1 and my oh my. (Just remember to remove before you blend!)
What are your favorite recipes for soups, stews, even chili's? Please link up and share this week at This Week's Cravings!
~~~Here's a run down of our little shindig and the rules:
This is your chance to share you favorite recipe each week based on our themes. Post that favorite breakfast from last week, or post your favorite cheesecake you made last month, just please stick to the theme. We want to read and discover your favorite recipe post, or if you don't have a recipe that matches this week's theme, then our hope is we inspire you to make something and link-up in the future.
Please link directly to your post, NOT to your home page. And pretty pretty please link back to one of our hosts using the button or a direct link. We hope to see you week after week sharing new recipes. It's fun to visit too! Click around at the other participant's and visit as many as you can, LEAVE COMMENTS too! Everyone loves to know their blog is being enjoyed by others. And remember, this is a blog party so please ENJOY THE PARTY AND MEET BLOGGERS!
Everyone is invited, if you don't have a blog, then feel free to post your recipe in the comments for others to see.
This Week's Cravings Schedule:
Jan. 3 - Get H-E-A-L-T-H-Y!
Jan. 10 - Momma Mia it's PIZZA!
Jan. 17 - National Pie Day
Jan. 24 - Share your 'Soup'er recipes
Jan. 31 - Favorie Super Bowl recipes
Feb. 7 - Valentine's Cookies & Treats
Feb. 14 - Sweet potatoes
Feb. 21 - George Washington's birthday - share some cherries!
Post & share our button please: