January 4, 2011

Layered Pesto Spread

If you don't already follow Sandy at Reluctant Entertainer - you should! I love her blog; filled with wonderful party ideas, recipes, planning tips, encouragement and beautiful photos. This recipe had me completely smitten and I was determined to use the floss concept. Worked perfectly. Here's my twist!

Be sure though to read the original recipe - she has a wonderful tutorial and video link for making the spread!



Layered Pesto Spread



  • 1 8-oz block cream cheese, cold

  • Approx. 1/3 cup pesto

  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella or parmesan cheese

  • Cayenne pepper

  • Dental floss
  1. Lay a piece of aluminium foil matte side down; spray center lightly with non-stick cooking spray.

  2. Place cream cheese on foil upright. Get a piece of floss - hold just as if you were really flossing, wrapped around your fingers with the floss pulled tight. Slice cream cheese into thirds. {Note: I did use waxed, mint floss - it's what I had! The floss sliced well and left no peppermint behind.}


  3. Lay one slice cream cheese and sprinkle with a pinch of cayenne. Spread 2-3 tablespoons pesto over the top, then sprinkle with a little cheese. Repeat with all layers making sure you have plenty of cheese remaining for the very top.


  4. Fold up sides of aluminium foil, then roll up the ends.



  5. Bake at 350 for 5-10 minutes. Serve with crackers, toasted bread or apple slices. I simply opened the packaged and added crackers!

  6. Can be refrigerated until ready to bake and serve. Also, instead of baking you could throw it on the grill!

{Printable version}

The recipe Reluctant Entertainer shared is quite different - or I should say mine is quite different from hers! - as it is served cold and has unique flavors for each layer.

I made this for family over the holiday and it was a big hit with it's creamy texture and cheesy-ness. It's a perfect last-minute appetizer and very versatile, here are more filler ideas:

  • Chopped artichoke hearts

  • tomatoes

  • fresh basil

  • any kind of nut

  • Mini-pepperoni

  • Chopped shrimp

  • Crab

  • Minced olives



I'd love to hear more ideas!

Linked to: Tasty Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday,

Tuesdays at the Table, Delicious Dishes and Foodie Friday

post signature

10 comments:

Sarah said...

That is a great recipe! Definitely on the menu for the next get together at my house.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Isn't dental floss a wonderful thing? It works great for slicing cinnamon rolls as well. This appetizer looks delicious. I love the layered look and this will be perfect for our Super Bowl party.

Our Treasured Home said...

You know how good something is by how quickly it disappears. This was gone in 5.8 seconds. I got a small amount and went back for seconds and the foil had be licked clean.

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

This sounds heavenly! I love all the ingedients.

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

That looks REALLY REALLY good! My hubby would love it! I host a NEW linky party called Fun w/Food Friday. I would LOVE it if you came by and linked up some of your delicious posts! Have a great weekend :)

Donnie said...

We have appetizers for dinner a lot of times so I'm always looking for something different.

Miranda said...

Love this! Would like to invite you over to Fat Camp Friday @ Mangoes and Chutney. The linky is up all weekend and one blogger from the linky party is featured every Wednesday. http://www.mangoesandchutney.com/2011/01/fat-camp-friday-10-blackened-tilapia.html

Erica said...

What a great recipe.....thanks for sharing .:-) Love your blog, I'm now a follower.

Jerri said...

Delicious! And looks easy too!

Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

Ann Kroeker said...

Coming to this a bit late, but the word "pesto" caught my eye. I'm going to try this next time I have a gathering--like you said, if I keep the basics on hand, it can be a quick, easy, and impressive appetizer to set out for guests.