Ahhh the excitement of Christmas morning... stocking, presents, your special Christmas pj's. Everyone has their little traditions. I remember opening stockings first thing, then breakfast and the Christmas parade - then we opened presents. For several years, my sister and I (or our Mom) made cinnamon rolls. Mmmmmm.....
No matter your tradition, we want you to share! What does your family enjoy Christmas morning?
Welcome to This Week's Cravings
- it's Christmas morning time!
Today, I'm sharing a wonderful recipe my husband recently found. I came home one evening to find our home filled with this delicious aroma. He said he just felt like baking :) I have photos of the final product, but he didn't take picture of the process.
Apple Coffee Cake
First you make a 'sweet dough:'
- 3-4 cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup margarine or butter
- 1 egg
- In large bowl combine 2 cup flour, sugar, salt and yeast; blend well.
- In small saucepan, heat water, milk and margarine until very warm (120-130 F).
- Add warm liquid and egg to your flour mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, stir in an additional 3 cups flours until dough pulls cleanly away from sides of bowl.
- On floured surface, knead in 1 to 2 to cups flour until dough is smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes.
- Place dough in greased bowl; cover loosely with plastic wrap and then a cloth towel. Let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size, about 45-60 minutes. Punch down dough to remove air bubbles.
To make apple coffee cake:
- Generously grease large pie pan (or 13x9 pan). Press sweet dough in prepared pan.
- Arrange 4 cups sliced, peeled apples in rows on top of dough.
- In small bowl, blend ¾ cup sugar, 3 Tb flour, ½ tsp cinnamon and 2 Tb softened margarine or butter with fork until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over apples.
- Cover with a cloth towel and let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size, about 40-45 minutes.
- Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown around edges and apples are tender.
- In small bowl, combine ½ cup powdered sugar and 2-4 Tb milk; blend well. Drizzle over warm coffee cake.
Hubs used only 1 apple but made the dish in a pie pan; this made the coffee cake very thick. If using the 4 apples, a 13x9 pan would work best. When baking, put a baking sheet on the rack below to catch potential spills.
Mouthwatering Monday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tackle it Tuesday, What’s Cooking Wednesday, Recipe Swap Thursday, Food on Fridays, Friday Favorites, Foodie Friday, Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge
Now, here's a run down of our little shindig and the rules:
This is your chance to share your favorite recipe each week based on our themes. Post that favorite breakfast from last week, or post your favorite cheesecake you made last month, just please stick to the theme. We all want to read and discover your favorite recipe post, or if you don’t have a recipe that matches this week’s theme, then our hope is we inspire you to make something and link-up in the future.
Please link directly to your post, NOT to your home page. And pretty pretty please link back to one of our hosts using the button or a direct link. We hope to see you week after week sharing new recipes. It’s fun to visit too! Click around at the other participant’s and visit as many as you can, leave comments too! Everyone loves to know their blog is being enjoyed by others. And remember, this is a BLOG PARTY so please ENJOY THE PARTY AND MEET BLOGGERS! Everyone is invited, if you don’t have a blog, then feel free to post your recipe in the comments for others to see.
This Week's Craving Schedule & Past Recipe Links:
Nov. 1 - Pumpkin
Nov. 8 – Thanksgiving Cookies & Treats
Nov. 15 - Thanksgiving Dinner & Side Dishes
Nov. 22 - "What to do with Thanksgiving Left-Overs"
Nov. 29 - Crockpot Favorites
Dec. 6 - Christmas Baking: Sweets, Treats, Candy & Gifts
Dec. 13 - Eat, Drink, Merry Christmas! (holiday beverages)
Dec. 20 - Christmas Morning: Breakfast & Brunch
Dec. 27 - Favorite New Years recipes
Jan. 3 - Let's get H-E-A-L-T-H-Y!
Post & share our button: