Whew! Say that 5 times really fast! This recipe was completely a last minute, throw together that was enjoyed by all. Easy, quick, used leftovers - I love it!
I'd made a big batch of Pepper Popper Toasts this past weekend and had approx 3/4 cup of the spread remaining. I also had a can of Pillsbury's Pizza dough and some leftover Lemon Sage crockpot chicken..... see where I'm going with this?
Pepper Popper Chicken Calzone
- 1 can pizza dough
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- 3/4 cup Pepper Popper spread
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Pepperocini peppers
- 1/4 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- Bacon, cooked & chopped
- Misc. items you think you can sneak in....
- Since I used leftovers, there was no prep work. If you are using fresh ingredients - cook and shred your chicken, fry up some bacon and shred that cheese!
- Flour your surface and roll out the pizza dough. Flour the dough top and your rolling pin - roll just a couple times to stretch the dough slightly.
- Spread the Pepper Popper topping all over first
- All remaining fillers: keep towards the middle. Add spinach (great way to sneak in some vitamins!) - I think fresh would be wonderful as well. Add extra jalapenos and pepperocini peppers. I did small dice the peppers so as to provide some heat, but not give me something really spicy to bite into. I don't like that.
- Next, shredded chicken and chopped bacon
- Then sprinkle on the cheese!
- Fold up and over the bottom, then roll into a tube.
- Bring ends around and smoosh together. Smoosh is a very technical term.
- Place calzone on a lightly greased baking pan, sprinkled with corn meal.
- Bake at 375 degree for 15-20 minutes, or until bread is golden brown on all sides.