October 7, 2010

Gluten Free Cheesecake Bars

A couple Christmas ago, my Mom gave me a wonderful cookbook: the Betty Crocker Ultimate Cake Mix Cookbook. It is fabulous since I usually have a couple cake mixes in the pantry, and everything else is basics.

I've made this recipe before using raspberry yogurt, fudgy chocolate frosting and a chocolate cake mix and loved it. This time around I wanted to try a different variation - the gluten free cake mix I had on hand was a perfect experiment. Couldn't even tell a difference! My favorite way to serve these bars are cold with some fresh fruit or pie filling. Hubs eats it warm without adornment. You try and let me know what you think!


Gluten Free Cheesecake Bars


  • 1 box cake mix (Betty Crocker has a wonderful gluten free yellow)

  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine, room temp

  • 1 individual yogurt

  • 1 tub prepared frosting

  • 3 eggs

  • 2 8-oz pkgs cream cheese, softened

  1. Combine cake mix and softened butter with a fork or pastry blender until crumbly. Press all but 1 cup into the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Set aside.

  2. In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and frosting until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, thoroughly incorporating each egg before adding the next. Add yogurt.

  3. Pour filling over cake mix crust, spreading evenly. {see the lumps? You don't want these. I was too tired, or lazy, or anxious to eat it, or a combination of the 3 to worry about it.}Sprinkle cheesecake with reserved cup of cake mix and butter mixture.


  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until firm in the middle. Let cool completely before cutting. I prefer to refrigerate for a couple hours or overnight before slicing.

Optional: Top with fruit or pie filling just before serving.

There are so many variations! Make with yellow cake mix, vanilla frosting and vanilla yogurt for a delicate flavor - perfect for apple or strawberry pie filling. Use different yogurt flavors. Have fun with the combinations! In these photos I have used: gluten free cake mix, vanilla yogurt & chocolate frosting.



This is linked to Foodie Friday,

Tempt My Tummy Tuesday &

Tuesdays at the Table!




post signature

5 comments:

the country cook said...

Being the nut that I am, I would make these with rainbow chip frosting! This looks fabulous and wonderfully easy.

Our Treasured Home said...

Gotta love Betty Crocker!

Meaghan Frubalee said...

wow. WOW. those look... WOW. i am stunned. so simple, so delicious, right up my cooking ally! thanks for posting! i really love your blog :)

-m
http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com/

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

Oh yum!! Love that it's gluten free too!!

Marsha said...

I love using cake mixes for things besides cake! Thanks for sharing your recipe!