Note: To make a little healthier.... I used real butter because it's whats in the fridge, but definitely switch to margarine or other butter substitute. Make a switch with your rice too and use 1/2 white, 1/2 brown for more fiber. Lastly, be creative and add some veggies to the rice! Peas, edamame, carrots - have fun!
Speedy Shrimp Scampi
- Dozen shrimp - I used pre-cooked & peeled frozen shrimp (thawed), which can be found in your seafood department.
- 2 Tb butter
- 1 Tb olive oil
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tb lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter over medium-low heat in a small skillet. Add olive oil.
- Add all your seasonings and let sit for a moment (perhaps while you peel the garlic?) to help bring out the flavor in the dried herbs.
- To make quick work of the garlic, use a cheese grater and grate directly into the skillet. Stir and cook for a minute.
- Add shrimp - if you are using pre-cooked shrimp, cook just until warm. You do not want to over cook and get rubbery shrimp. Add lemon juice just before serving.
- Pour over rice or noodles. Or.... pour into a decorative dish and serve with toothpicks as a quick party appetizer!
I used regular white rice and cooked in a risotto fashion - this does not necessarily make risotto, just slightly creamier rice.
- 1 cup rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 tb butter
- Melt butter over medium heat in a medium skillet. Add rice and stir to coat with butter.
- Add 1/2 cup broth and stir well. Keep stirring until broth is just absorbed - then add next 1/2 cup. Continue adding liquid and stirring until rice is soft and moist.
- Cooking the rice in this fashion brings out the starch, which makes the creamy texture.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- NOTE: if you use different styles of rice (brown, wild, etc.) you may need more or less liquid.)