I've watched a lot of day time tv. A lot. These past few weeks at home with Little O have been wonderful - we had a great schedule. One part of our day was watching Rachael Ray.
Last week Rachael made a recipe I logged into memory - I wasn't able to catch the full section on the recipe but caught enough snippets to be able to duplicate :) I don't remember what she called this tasty appetizer/ side/ hit of your tailgate party - so I made up something!
Pepper Popper Toasts
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temp
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- peppers - jalapeno, pepperocini, your favorite
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large loaf french bread
- green onion, chopped - optional
- Slice bread approx 1/2 inch thick and line up on a baking sheet. Carefully broil both sides till nice and toasty. Be sure to stop at 'nice and toasty' and not take it to 'nice, toasty, almost burnt' as I did and have to scrap your bread. Makes a mess and you will feel silly. Set bread aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream and shredded cheese.
- Chop your peppers - I used pickled jalapeno and pepperocini peppers. I like a mild heat so I used more pepperocini than jalapeno. Play with the heat to fit your tastes; use banana peppers, grilled poblano, smoked peppers - you pick! I did not give a specific amount because, again, you pick! (Just remember once you bake it, the heat intensifies.) Add peppers to cheese mixture.
- Spread cheese mixture over one side of each toast and line back up on the baking sheet. If you wish, sprinkle with a little more cheese. After all... .there is never too much cheese.
- Broil until mixture is warm and bubbly. Sprinkle with green onion just before serving.
Note: Hubby enjoyed spreading the cold cheese topping over untoasted bread better, however, I really enjoy the crunch of the toast and melted, stringy cheese.
This recipe is posted to: