September 27, 2010

Pepper Popper Toasts

I've watched a lot of day time tv. A lot. These past few weeks at home with Little O have been wonderful - we had a great schedule. One part of our day was watching Rachael Ray.

Last week Rachael made a recipe I logged into memory - I wasn't able to catch the full section on the recipe but caught enough snippets to be able to duplicate :) I don't remember what she called this tasty appetizer/ side/ hit of your tailgate party - so I made up something!



Pepper Popper Toasts

  • 8 oz. cream cheese, room temp

  • 1 cup sour cream

  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

  • peppers - jalapeno, pepperocini, your favorite

  • salt and pepper, to taste

  • 1 large loaf french bread

  • green onion, chopped - optional

  1. Slice bread approx 1/2 inch thick and line up on a baking sheet. Carefully broil both sides till nice and toasty. Be sure to stop at 'nice and toasty' and not take it to 'nice, toasty, almost burnt' as I did and have to scrap your bread. Makes a mess and you will feel silly. Set bread aside.

  2. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream and shredded cheese.

  3. Chop your peppers - I used pickled jalapeno and pepperocini peppers. I like a mild heat so I used more pepperocini than jalapeno. Play with the heat to fit your tastes; use banana peppers, grilled poblano, smoked peppers - you pick! I did not give a specific amount because, again, you pick! (Just remember once you bake it, the heat intensifies.) Add peppers to cheese mixture.


  4. Spread cheese mixture over one side of each toast and line back up on the baking sheet. If you wish, sprinkle with a little more cheese. After all... .there is never too much cheese.


  5. Broil until mixture is warm and bubbly. Sprinkle with green onion just before serving.



Note: Hubby enjoyed spreading the cold cheese topping over untoasted bread better, however, I really enjoy the crunch of the toast and melted, stringy cheese.


This recipe is posted to:

Tasty Tuesday

Tempt My Tummy Tuesday

Tuesdays at the Table



post signature

6 comments:

Our Treasured Home said...

I was able to taste these and loved them! Easy but very tasty!

the country cook said...

ooooh, that does sound good. I think I would like it both ways. And of course I will burn my bread...always have, always will! :-)

Melinda said...

We absolutely love poppers - and these would be so yummy! I've got this one bookmarked!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

These would make a nice appetizer! They look and sound delicious! thanks!

Danelle said...

Can't wait to try these. And they look so much easier than actually making jalepeno poppers. Love it!

Miz Helen said...

Your recipe will be great for holiday entertaining.
Thank you...