September 9, 2010

Lemon Curd

Lemon curd is wonderful and so versatile - you can drizzle it over warm, sweet biscuits... cookies... it's a great addition to trifles or strawberry shortcake. Best of all, it can keep in an air tight container in your fridge for a couple weeks - which also makes it a great gift! Pour it all pretty in a mason jar and add to a gift basket full of scone mixes, hot teas, cakes - yum!

Did I mention it's a breeze to make? No? Well.... it's a breeze to make.

{Also - this recipe is being used in a cupcake creation that is being posted in steps. The curd will be used as a filling.}


Lemon Curd

  • 1/3 cup juice (1-2 lemons)
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 4 Tb butter
You will need to use a bain marie or double boiler. I used a small saucepan containing a couple inches water and a glass bowl. (a stainless steel bowl would be much better.)
  1. Bring the water in your double boiler to a simmer - don't let it hit a full on boil. Once simmering, combine the lemon juice and sugar in the top of your bowl. Stir until just combined, then whisk in the eggs one at a time.
  2. Continue to slowly whisk the curd for approx. 10 minutes - it will slowly thicken and become a smooth pudding consistency. Another way to check is the 'coats the back of the spoon' test. Once ready, remove the top from the heat source.
  3. Pour curd through a strainer if you feel it's necessary, to help remove any lumps. Immediately add the butter and stir until melted and combined. Finally, stir in the lemon zest. Pour into a airtight container - or cover the bowl with plastic wrap - and refrigerate until needed.


That's it! Oh, and another idea is to use it between cake layers! It will make the cake super moist and add a wonderful light flavor.

This is linked to Foodie Friday, Vegetarian Foodie Friday & Happy Housewife Lemon Round-Up!

post signature

10 comments:

the country cook said...

I heart scones and lemon curd. It is so easy to make that I'm surprised more people don't do it!

Our Treasured Home said...

Looks wonderful! I will have to give it a try! I think it would be good for Boston Cream Pie.

Melodie said...

My best friend practically makes lemon curd every week but I didn't know it was this easy to make! And so natural! I invite you to link this up at Vegetarian Foodie Fridays at www.breastfeedingmomsunite.com Then I will be sure not to lose this! Plus I'd love to have you join! Hope to see you!

Heather@myeverydaygraces said...

I love lemon curd... my favorite is a spoonful in plain yogurt; it is a real treat!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Oh boy does this look good! What time is dessert? :)

Melodie said...

Thanks for sharing at Vegetarian Foodie Fridays. My girlfriend is coming to town and she'll be so surprised when I make this for her! :) I hope to see you again!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

YUM! Love lemon curd! :) It is delish on pancakes, pound cake, or just by spoonful. :)

blkenigma888 said...

I am hosting a linky party at my blog called A Themed Baker's Sunday! Where the theme is LEMONS!!! I would love it if you linked either this recipe or a different lemony deliciousness!! I'm uber excited to see what you have in store!!
http://cupcakeapothecary.blogspot.com/2011/04/themed-bakers-sunday-2.html
Alyssa

blkenigma888 said...

Thanks for joining A Themes Bakers Sunday! It's going to be tough choosing from everyone's recipe for the top 6! Please remember to mention that the recipes are linked to my blog. Thanks!

blkenigma888 said...

Great job on the linky party last week! It was very hard to choose from everyone. Come by again and link up to this week's theme: Chocolate! Hope to see you there.
http://cupcakeapothecary.blogspot.com/2011/05/themed-bakers-sunday-3.html
Alyssa