There is a dish at a local restaurant called Angel Hair Elizabetta: angel hair pasta with creamy pesto sauce on one 1/2 and marinara on the other, yum! A family favorite is to order the dish with no marinara.... all creamy pesto. I decided I wanted to be able to recreate this fave at home.
Creamy Pesto Sauce:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 5 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tb prepared pesto
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour - it will clump up and that's ok. Add seasonings. It's ok to let the butter/flour mixture cook for a few moments, this will actually help remove the raw flour flavor.
- Very slowly whisk in milk, working hard to remove lumps. Keep sauce on medium heat and stir often. The sauce will slowly thicken, just keep stirring and keep those lumps away!
- Once sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, add cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat - add pesto. Serve as soon as possible.
- You could use jarred alfredo sauce (much quicker), but why when you can quickly make this satisfying sauce from scratch and know exactly what you're eating.
- I do recommend making your own pesto - so fresh and delicious - but if your store doesn't have fresh basil like mine, jarred is still yummy :)
We added grilled chicken breasts; it would also be tasty with fresh veggies such as steamed asparagus, broccoli or sauteed mushrooms.