August 26, 2010

Hunka-Hunka-Ice Cream

Elvis... many musicians look to his to unique style for inspiration in their music. Even their dance. Me? Well, he inspired some food!

I love peanut butter. And bananas. Frequently, I combine the two. Another thing I love is ice cream. Add all these with my love for Elvis and his dreamy voice and you have this ice. Plus... didn't Elvis like some peanut butter and bananas?!? :)


Hunka-Hunka-Ice Cream


The ice cream is a recipe by blogger Our Treasured Home - Summer Cloud Ice Cream. It is a wonderful recipe and very versatile. Here is the LINK to her post on making the ice cream. So tasty!!!

What makes it Elvis though is the toppings - Peanut Butter Ice Cream Topping and Caramelized Bananas.

Peanut Butter Ice Cream Topping

  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter

  • 5 oz Evaporated milk (my grocery sells 5 oz cans)

  • 1/2 cup sugar

  • 1 Tb butter

  1. Super easy----combine and heat. Start with the peanut butter; slowly mix in the evaporated milk. Next add the sugar and stir. I popped it in the microwave for 45 seconds - stir, then add butter. Microwave for 30-45 seconds more. The topping should be the consistency of warm caramel sauce. It's heavenly & will keep (in an airtight container) in the fridge for several weeks. Simply reheat and enjoy as often as necessary.


Caramelized Bananas

Basically bananas foster....


  • 2 medium bananas

  • 3 Tb butter

  • 1/8 cup brown sugar - not packed

  • 1 shot rum (optional)

Captain Morgan is a friend of mine; I haven't had an 'adult beverage' in quite some time but when I decide to indulge again --- chances are rum will be involved. The rum in this recipe is completely optional - I simply like the flavor and all alcohol evaporates during cooking.


  1. Slice bananas 1/4-1/2 inch thick

  2. In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, add sliced bananas stirring carefully. You need to work quickly, the bananas will get super mushy super fast. Sprinkle brown sugar over the top and let sit for a moment so it can heat and dissolve slightly.


  3. Finally add the rum; stir carefully for a couple minutes to help the alcohol evaporate. You will want to serve the bananas immediately.


Assembly: scoop - drizzle - spoon and you have some Elvis inspired ice cream sundaes!


This recipe is linked to Foodie Friday!


post signature

7 comments:

the country cook said...

I have some "burnin' love" for this recipe! I'd LOVE to try that! Too bad Nathan doesn't like bananas.

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

Oh my, that looks very, very good. Surely the bananas make it good for you too? At least that is what I will keep telling myself when I make it :)

ButterYum said...

I love he name Hunka-Hunka. Very cute.

:)
ButterYum

Our Treasured Home said...

Love the name! You know I love peanut butter and bananas and will be coming to your house soon. Hint, Hint...

Jacqueline said...

I am an Elvis fan and a peanut butter and banana fan too! This sounds fab.

Trendsetters said...

Elvis and Captain Morgan - What a winning combination! Hope you don't mine if we share the link with some of our Elvis and Captain fans.

Kristin said...

I cannot wait to try the caramelized bananas!