Isn't that a beautiful title? :)
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup margarine
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped nuts – optional
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, sugar, margarine and shortening. Add vanilla and egg; beat well.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt; mix - will be getting very thick!
- Mix in 1 cup chocolate chips and nuts by hand.
- Now, here you could make chocolate chip cookies like normal - and they would be quite tasty! Like I said this is my good, 'ol trusty cookie recipe... but let's go a step further... Grease a cupcake pan with shortening, or generously spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Smoosh – yes, smoosh – 2 Tb. Batter in the bottom, bringing some up the sides of the pan creating a ‘hole.’ Add a 1 1/2-2 Tb chocolate chips to the center.
- Scoop another 1-2 Tb batter on top of chocolate chips and carefully, using your fingers, spread batter over the top, meeting up with the sides to create a pocket.
- Repeat with remaining batter; depending on size of cupcake pan (and whether you added nuts – they make the batter bulkier!) may make 6-10 lava cakes.
- Bake 25-30 minutes. Tops will get brown – but we need a crispy edge all around! :) Let cakes cool in pan for 5-10 minutes before turning out onto wire rack. If you turn them out of the pan immediately they will collapse, the melted chocolate will go everywhere….. not necessarily a bad thing – grab a spoon and eat immediately! But doesn’t make for pretty presentation… Works best if you let them cool completely and harden slightly. Before serving simply place on a cookie sheet and heat for a couple moments in the oven, or microwave on low-heat for 1 minute.
- Serve with whipped cream or your favorite ice cream!
(The whipped cream is frozen; this makes 'scoop and serve' much easier.)
Ahhhh! There we go!
These are very rich! If you want your chocolate center to be a little more runny; once you add your chocolate chips to the center, drizzle 1 tsp evaporated milk over them, then add your 'batter topping.' Decadent!