June 17, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookie Lava Cakes

Isn't that a beautiful title? :)

I saw it in a dessert menu a few weeks ago and heard angels singing. I knew I had to make this at home... and soon. We didn't order one at that time; but I already knew this was going to be a beautiful friendship. So, I set out with my trusty chocolate chip cookie recipe, taste testers and sheer determination. I discovered -- this is too easy and too yummy not to make as often as possible!



Chocolate Chip Cookie Lava Cakes


  • ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar

  • ½ cup sugar

  • ½ cup margarine

  • ½ cup shortening

  • 1 ½ tsp vanilla

  • 1 egg

  • 1 ¾ cups flour

  • 1 tsp baking soda

  • ½ tsp salt

  • 2 cups chocolate chips

  • ½ cup chopped nuts – optional


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.


  1. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, sugar, margarine and shortening. Add vanilla and egg; beat well.

  2. Add flour, baking soda and salt; mix - will be getting very thick!

  3. Mix in 1 cup chocolate chips and nuts by hand.

  4. Now, here you could make chocolate chip cookies like normal - and they would be quite tasty! Like I said this is my good, 'ol trusty cookie recipe... but let's go a step further... Grease a cupcake pan with shortening, or generously spray with non-stick cooking spray.

  5. Smoosh – yes, smoosh – 2 Tb. Batter in the bottom, bringing some up the sides of the pan creating a ‘hole.’ Add a 1 1/2-2 Tb chocolate chips to the center.



  6. Scoop another 1-2 Tb batter on top of chocolate chips and carefully, using your fingers, spread batter over the top, meeting up with the sides to create a pocket.

  7. Repeat with remaining batter; depending on size of cupcake pan (and whether you added nuts – they make the batter bulkier!) may make 6-10 lava cakes.

  8. Bake 25-30 minutes. Tops will get brown – but we need a crispy edge all around! :) Let cakes cool in pan for 5-10 minutes before turning out onto wire rack. If you turn them out of the pan immediately they will collapse, the melted chocolate will go everywhere….. not necessarily a bad thing – grab a spoon and eat immediately! But doesn’t make for pretty presentation… Works best if you let them cool completely and harden slightly. Before serving simply place on a cookie sheet and heat for a couple moments in the oven, or microwave on low-heat for 1 minute.



  9. Serve with whipped cream or your favorite ice cream!

(The whipped cream is frozen; this makes 'scoop and serve' much easier.)

Just a little more.... something....

Ahhhh! There we go!



These are very rich! If you want your chocolate center to be a little more runny; once you add your chocolate chips to the center, drizzle 1 tsp evaporated milk over them, then add your 'batter topping.' Decadent!




This recipe is posted to Foodie Friday, Delicious Dish and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday!



post signature

19 comments:

the country cook said...

Well isn't that just beautiful! Now you've got me thinking - a peanut butter cookie lava cake...wouldn't that be amazing?

Moogie said...

I just happened upon your blog. Love your super recipes.

http://moogieland.blogspot.com/

Our Treasured Home said...

I want one! Well maybe two!

SnoWhite {Finding Joy in My Kitchen} said...

now... you're making me hungry :-) These look awesome!

Mickey said...

Wow! Looks sinful! My kind of dish :)
Mickey

Lisa Smith said...

I will have to try that recipe!! It looks amazing!! We try to do a menu but on a weekly basis. Hopefully I'll get it posted tomorrow. :)

Jacqueline said...

Found you on Foodie Friday! Nice to meet you. Boy, my kids are going to love me. They love hot lava cake and they love hot chocolate chips cookies, now to have them combined, add a little rich vanilla ice cream and we will all be singing your praises. Thanks for sharing.

Its A Blog Party said...

That looks awesome!
Thanks for linking up!
~Liz

Melinda said...

Oh my - oh my - oh my. Drooling all over the keyboard...

Chef Dennis said...

wow...what an incredible cookie cake...I just love lava cakes!! yours looks so very very good!!

Tasha Lehman said...

Simply amazing!

Phillips Phamily Mama said...

I may be pregnant, but I think I would be craving these without an extra mouth to feed! Yum.

Nikki said...

These look amazing. I want one right now. I think I will have to try them. Thanks for sharing.

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

Yum oh Yum!! Perfect pregnancy food!

Debbie said...

Looks amazing! I could definitely dig into one of those with a large coffee on the side!

shopannies said...

sure does sound delicious

Angi said...

YUM! These look quite tasty and rich and gooey - just the way I like my desserts!

Karyn said...

I am so going to try this!!

Liquor License New York said...

Amazingly easy and really looks delicious. I'm definitely craving for a plate of that right now. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. This is definitely a must do recipe this weekend since I got my Food Safety Course. Happy Valentines Day!!!