June 7, 2010

Bacon in the freezer...

This is very simple - and technically not a recipe! - but something so quick and easy that can make a big impact!



Freezer Bacon

Bacon just doesn't come in small packages. Not the right size for two people anyway! And we love bacon, which can make prep difficult - I either cook the whole package and we eat way too many slices, or I stick the remaining bacon in the fridge and occasionally it is sadly forgotten.

Not too long ago the obvious "light bulb" went off! Cook and freeze! This works perfectly in my new "prep-in-advance & freezer" attitude in preparations for maternity leave.


So I take our remaining slices...



...pre-cut...


...fry in the skillet until crisp...


then place on a paper towel to collect excess grease and cool. Finally, simply label a resealable, freezer bag with contents and date - fill with your bacon - and place in freezer!



Having this bag of deliciousness is very handy - grab a few pinches to top a salad or baked potato. Quickly reheat in a skillet to toss in pasta or potato salad. Another idea - top a cooked chicken breast with bacon and shredded cheddar cheese and bake until melted! It is a quick, easy way to add depth of flavor and a tasty garnish.


This is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Delicious Dishes and What's on the Menu Wednesday!


post signature

7 comments:

Our Treasured Home said...

Great idea!

SnoWhite {Finding Joy in My Kitchen} said...

brilliant! We're in the same boat -- so I think we might have to try it :)

angie said...

love this idea bacon right at hand. I love the idea for camping as well we have an RV but not the great place to fry up bacon

Linda said...

The freezer idea I might have thought of on my own, as I've been doing more freezer cooking lately, but I would not have thought of pre-cutting and then cooking. Great idea!

Debbie said...

Come join me for the inaugural edition of What's On the Menu Wednesday. I'd love for you to link up with Mister Linky. Thanks.

Connie said...

Oh, what a practical way with bacon!

Its A Blog Party said...

What a great idea!
Thanks for linking up!
~Liz