May 27, 2010

Take Me There Thursday

I know it's been awhile and I may not start up the series as I did before with something every week, (though I would like to!) but I do plan to feature a place or establishment from time to time.




Today it is a restaurant in Oklahoma City called Mamma E's!

Mamma E's is a very small establishment, located at 3838 Springlake Drive, was featured on Food Network Guy Fieri show Diners, Drive-In's and Dives last year. A friend sent me information concerning this little treasure and their DDD feature - I immediately knew I was headed that way ASAP! Why? Chicken. and Waffles.

Having heard of the chicken and waffle combo for quite some time I was completely intrigued. So was the hubby :) So we set out with maps and an appetite, and was not disappointed!

Arriving at Mamma E's, we were warmly greeted once thru the door though and led to the buffet line.

With Mamma E's you have about 3 meal options: Chicken and Waffles, 2 meats/3 sides... and I think the other was a burger.... sorry I was focused. We decided to order a variety and share (that was the initial plan... sharing. ha.) To order, you step up to the buffet and choose (some items are already prepared, such as all the sides, while others (waffles!) there is a minimal wait.) All meals come in a to-go container.

I went with 2 meats and 3 sides:

Fried Catfish. Baked Chicken. Macaroni and Cheese. Yams. Not pictured are the black eye peas, cornbread, slice of chocolate cake and all-you-can drink Kool-Aid. A roll or cornbread, slice of cake and Kool-Aid are all apart of the tasty package.


Hubs ordered the chicken and waffles:


which comes with 1 side - he chose collard greens. It also included cake (lemon for him) and Kool-Aid.


I will begin elaborating on my meal - first... it was fabulous. The catfish was fresh and crispy. The baked chicken moist and flavorful. The macaroni and cheese made me cry with cheesy happiness. And the yams were like Thanksgiving. I want more.

I'm sure you're more curious about the chicken and waffles. ? The Belgian waffle with it's soft but crisp texture topped with fried chicken, sprinkled with powdered sugar which melted into the every groove of crispiness... it was wonderful. Dowse your waffle in syrup and dig in people, this was a wonderful combination.

We. were. stuffed. And that sharing idea? We took bites of everything, but once we tasted the treasure on our own plates, we stayed with them!

And might I add, that the Kool-Aid was some of the sweetest I've ever had- sugar rush!!


Be sure to call ahead and check their hours - the owner (and cook) pastors the church across the street so they are closed on Sundays and close early Wednesdays & Saturdays.


Here is the DDD segment featuring Mamma E's - it is very entertaining! I guarantee something in this video will strike your interest!









post signature

3 comments:

Our Treasured Home said...

We will have to go with you next time. It sounds interesting.

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

I saw that show, how fun!! I just love your travel adventures. You always go to the best places to eat! A girl after my own heart.

Maybe we can do a road trip one day and meet half way and eat somewhere fabulous!

Kristen said...

Treasured Home - definitely! We should make a day of it, the zoo or Omniplex and some Chicken & Waffles!

Sounds like a plan Jenna! That would be a blast :)