May 25, 2010

Campfire Peaches

A couple weekends ago, we 'camped' with my family. We always have such a wonderful time together at the lake - fishing, eating & cooking outdoors, camp fires... Isn't this picture my brother took beautiful? It is the view from the campsite. So relaxing...


I really wanted to try cooking something different this time. My Mom has been doing a lot of reading, research and experimentation with dutch oven cooking outdoors, so I really wanted to try that too... So combine that with needing a dessert and a craving :) we made these wonderful Campfire Peaches.



Campfire Peaches



  • 3 lb peaches

  • 1 cup sugar

  • ½ cup flour

Topping:


  • 2 instant oatmeal packets

  • ½ cup butter + few extra pats

  • ¼ cup sugar

  • 2 Tb flour


  1. Combine peaches, 1 cup sugar and ½ cup flour in cast iron dutch oven {I cut the peach slices in half – it’s personal preference.}


  2. In a small bowl, combine ½ cup butter, oatmeal packets and ¼ cup sugar until crumbly using fork, pastry blender or hands. {Oatmeal packets – I honest-to-goodness used 2 packets, Quaker Oats, High fiber, cinnamon flavored instant oatmeal. Worked perfectly because they were handy, traveled well, and included all the necessary spices!}


  3. Place your few extra pats butter on top of peaches. Then sprinkle on oatmeal topping.

Prepare your coals:


  1. Start with approx 25 coals – light and wait until they are almost completely white. White hot!! Using tongs, hot pads, folded towel and non-flammable protective suit haha – separate your coals. Leave 8-9 close together on the bottom of the grill (this was done in the camp-side grill in place at most public campsites), place dutch oven over them. Then carefully place remaining coals on top of lid.


  2. Carefully, lift handle and spin oven around – for example, rotate handle from pointing north-south, to pointing east-west – every 15 minutes to help with even cooking. Cook for a total of 1 hour. Using tongs, or a special utensil for your dutch oven, lift lid and check your peaches. It should have firmed slightly, butter melted throughout and the top thickened. If everything is still really thin, cook for another 15-20 minutes. I apologize that I did not get a picture of this part...

  3. Serve hot with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Dutch oven cooking is a science, I believe, and my Mom has it down! I could not have made this dessert without her constant assistance, encouragement and approval!!



This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday & Tasty Tuesday!



post signature

5 comments:

the country cook said...

Very impressive! I've always wanted a Dutch oven. There are so many great recipes out there that use one, and they seem to have some magical cooking power. :-) Sounds like a great campfire dessert...would go great with homemade ice cream.

And that is one amazing photo your brother took!

PS - I would have loved to see you camping at 8 months pregnant. Tents? at 8 months?

Kristen said...

LOL - No tents, they have a RV! Though I'm sure my constant treks to the restrooms was quite humorous! :)

Stephanie said...

This sounds delicious! And so interesting! I will have to give these a try on our next camping trip.

Our Treasured Home said...

This dessert was so good. You did a great job. We will definitely have to come up with more recipes :)

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

How fun, and it looks delicious. Once I interned for a Annual Rodeo in Austin and the whole staff was provided 3 meals a day from a couple who did dutch oven cooking, it was so wonderful all the great meals they cooked from those dutch ovens, everything from cowboy spaghetti to biscuits and gravy and peach pie, yum.