April 20, 2010

Strawberry Breakfast Pastries

Flipping thru a recent issue of Bon Appetit magazine I found a recipe called "Strawberry 'Pop Tarts'" and thought, "Well, I can do that!" I did alter the recipe a little: 1) It calls for a dusting of powder sugar after baking. I'm sorry, but I believe a glaze is required. 2) The recipe used strawberry preserves - I made my own filling. 3) I didn't exactly follow the baking directions...



Strawberry Breakfast Pastries




Pastry:

  • 2 cups + 2 Tb flour

  • 1 tsp salt

  • 1 tsp sugar

  • 1 cup chilled unsalted butter; cut into pats

  • 3-4 Tb ice water

Filling:

  • 2 cups diced strawberries

  • 2 tsp cornstarch

  • 1 Tb sugar

  • 1 tsp vanilla

To make pastry:

  1. Stir flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl with a whisk or fork.


  2. Add butter pats - blend in butter until texture resembles coarse corn meal. To do this you can use a fork, pastry blender or your hands. (I started with a pastry blender, but switched to my hands - worked much better.)

  3. Add ice water 1 Tb at a time, mixing with your hands between each time, until dough clumps together. You may not need all 4 Tb- it varies depending on the temperature of texture of your butter, moisture in the air, etc.

  4. Divide dough into two balls. Wrap them in plastic wrap and chill at least one hour.


To make filling:

  1. While pastry is chilling out, make your filling. Combine all filling ingredients in a medium saucepan. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes; it may come to a soft boil - just be sure to stir often.


  2. Taste - if needed add another Tb sugar. Once strawberries are soft (and sufficiently sweet!) remove from heat and let cool completely. Before using, take a fork or potato masher and smooth strawberries until pulpy. Set aside.


To make pastries:

  1. Remove one ball of dough from fridge and remove wrapping. On a slightly floured surface, carefully roll dough. It is easier to work with if you keep thickness between 1/8 and 1/4 inch.

  2. Using a pizza cutter or knife, cut into strips. Then cut across to make rectangles - mine were approx 4 x 3 inches. (I contemplated breaking out my biscuit cutters and making round pastries! This will be my method next time as it would be faster!)


  3. Spoon 2 Tb filling in middle of pastry - lift a rectangle and place on top of filling, being careful not to split the dough or smoosh your filling out the sides!

  4. Press edges with fingers to seal, then press with a fork. Transfer to a baking sheet coated with non-stick spray.

  5. Bake pastries for 15 minutes at 375 degrees - until edges are slightly browned and pastry is crisp.

  6. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 3-5 minutes before removing and placing on wire cooling rack.

  7. You can dust with powdered sugar once cooled. Or make a simple powder sugar glaze and drizzle on top... which is what I did!


Also, the directions said to prepare your pastries and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Then freeze for at least 2 hours, or cover & freeze up to 1 week before baking. To bake you place frozen pastries (still on parchment in pan) directly in the oven. What can I say - I was impatient...


Conclusion: We liked them! I don't know if I will make a habit of making them, but the crust is buttery and crumbly, the filling sweet and fresh tasting... plus I really want to experiment with some variations! Cinnamon cream cheese filling.... some PB&J.... add orange juice to the strawberries.... lemon blueberry.... raspberry preserves with a few chocolate chips.... and we haven't even approached how to flavor and play with the dough!



This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table and Tasty Tuesday.


post signature

12 comments:

the country cook said...

LOVE IT! Those look absolutely delicious...you've reminded me how much I used to love pop tarts. I bet these were fun to make!

Anna Christensen said...

Yummy! I was looking at a pop tart just the other day and thinking that if they weren't so terrible for you, I'd just love one. What a great solution. :)

Our Treasured Home said...

Very creative! Can't wait to try one. The filling combinations are endless. Keep us posted.

Kathleen said...

These look so amazing! I love that you glazed them instead of using powdered sugar. Great call!

Julie said...

What beautiful and fun pop tarts!

Nanna said...

how sweet is that! also a lot like fried pies
Helen

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

Oh Yum, I love strawberry poptarts!! These look amazing.

SnoWhite {Finding Joy in My Kitchen} said...

These look amazing! I just happen to have a pound of strawberries in my fridge now :)

Sherry said...

Oh, wow! Those look absolutely delish!!

Have a great day!
Sherry

Avril Miller said...

Beautifully delicious. Just beautiful. Merci!

Debbie said...

recently I have embarked on a journey in food in making everything from scratch. This is a recipe that I have now added to my file and look forward to trying it. Everything is better homemade.

Anonymous said...

I just made these and instead of the egg wash you suggested I just dipped my finger in warm water and ran it around the edges before I put the topper on and then pressed to seal - worked great!