April 6, 2010

Pumpkin Crunch

I could simply say this is a Paula Deen recipe and leave it at that. Just mentioning her name, you already know this recipe is delicious, buttery, decadent, buttery, comforting.... buttery. I found the recipe on http://www.pauladeen.com/ - a recently discovered resource. I was searching for something quick, easy, used what I had on hand and would travel well. Well, this website is just full of comforting foods with basic ingredients and will get many hits from me in the future.


I did not take any pictures of the preparation or mixing - I apologize. And don't let the "Holiday" throw you off ---served at room temperature with a dollop of whipped cream... it's a year round treat! :)


  • 1 can pumpkin

  • 1 (12 oz.) evaporated milk

  • 1 tsp cinnamon

  • 1 cup sugar

  • 3 eggs, beaten

  • 1 box yellow cake mix

  • 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

  • 2 stick butter, cut into pieces
  1. In a large mixing bowl combine pumpkin, milk, cinnamon and sugar. Whisk in eggs.

  2. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with non-stick spray; pour in pumpkin mixture. Sprinkle cake mix over the top. It will seem like a lot- like it will be too thick, but just keep sprinkling!! Next, sprinkle on pecans. And finally, lay the pats of butter all over.

  3. Bake at 350 degree for one hour. Let cool before slicing - it will set up slightly. Although... scooped warm and gooey out of the pan with a bit of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream will be very tempting!


The original recipe included a recipe for cream cheese frosting:

  • 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened

  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream

  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar

  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  1. Whip cream cheese until light. Add whipping cream and continue to whip until fully combined and thickened. Add powder sugar and cinnamon; whisk until smooth.

I did not make the frosting, simply used prepared whipped cream. To be honest I can not imagine the sugar induced coma resulting from pumpkin crunch and the frosting... but I'm sure it's divine!



This recipe was a big hit at work and at home. I love the fact that I usually have all the ingredients on hand, so it is easy to whip up and can travel well. I would also like the mention that switching to a gluten-free cake mix -- this dessert will still be rich and indulgent and NO GLUTEN!!


Be sure to head to Paula Deen's website for other great recipe & videos!



This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tuesday's at the Table and Tasty Tuesday!

post signature

8 comments:

Cathy said...

Kristen, Mom gave me this recipe several months ago. You're right. It makes an amazingly delicious, super easy desert! Yum!
Cathy Carr

Our Treasured Home said...

I tasted this and it was delicious and I will be making it soon.

Melinda said...

This looks really yummy! Gotta love Paula Deen and her butter!

NorCalMom said...

This looks like a great recipe. Thank you for posting!

MonsterMama said...

Don't watch Paula but this looks amazing! I love pumpkin anything AND we have a glutten sensitive person in this house. I can't wait to make it.
Mickey

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

The pumpkin crunch sounds wonderful. Thanks for linking to TMTT.

Anonymous said...

I love anything Ms.Deen creates and agree with you on the greatness of it being gluten free; too bad it wasn't calorie free as well

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

Love this recipe, I make a similar one, but I always use spice cake mix. Delish!

Thanks for joining the pumpkin link up, it will be up all week if you have any more recipes to share.