March 9, 2010

Shepherd's Pie

It's time to start planning St. Patty day festivities! In honor of the upcoming - 'Wearing of the green' I've been working on some Irish recipes. The first is Shepherd's Pie - this was my and Hubby's first experience with Shepherd's Pie. I really enjoyed trying the recipe... but in the end we only voted it a 3 out of 5. Ok... Hubs would probably say 2.5 out of 5 because the recipe called for peas. Even still I would try another version (sans peas) because I think if we found just the right one... we would really enjoy this hearty, simple dish.


Shepherd's Pie

Roasted Garlic Potatoes:

  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 Tb Olive oil
  • 5 medium/large potatoes
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup beef or chicken broth
  • 4 Tb butter
  • Salt & Pepper, to taste
  1. To roast garlic: Garlic cloves should still be enclosed in their papery wrapping - cut in half. Coat a baking dish with the olive oil; add garlic cloves. Rub cloves all around in the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes; until cloves have slightly darkened and are soft. Remove and set aside to cool.

  2. Potatoes: Wash potatoes and peel. Cut into pieces approx 2" x 2" and place in a large stock pot. Cover potatoes with cold water (couple inches above the potato 'level') and bring to a boil. Boil until soft - keep an eye on the potatoes, you do not want them to over cook or you will have 'elastic potatoes!' Drain.

  3. Pour potatoes into a large bowl - mash them while hot!! I mashed by hand - what can I say, I enjoy it! - by slowly adding all remaining ingredients. First butter - mash mash mash. Then sour cream - mash mash mash. Lastly the broth- 1/2 cup mash mash mash. 1/2 cup - mash mash mash. Don't add broth all at once so you can monitor the consistency, since I wanted very smooth potatoes perfect for spreading I used the entire cup of broth.

  4. Grab garlic - they should be cool to touch now. Carefully squeeze - the garlic should just pop out of the shell! Give them a good rough chop and stir into potatoes.

  5. Set this deliciousness aside. Or out of sight. We kept eating it.


Filling:

  • 1 lb ground meat: lamb (traditional), beef or I used venison
  • 4 slices bacon
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 Tb tomato paste
  • 1 Tb flour
  • 1 cup broth, chicken or beef; or 12 oz. beer
  • 1 tsp finely chopped rosemary leaves
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  1. Cook bacon until crispy. Remove and place on paper towels to drain; then crumble. Remove all but a couple tablespoons of the bacon grease; add onions and saute on medium heat until they become translucent. Sprinkle onions with sugar and continue to saute until caramelized. Add ground meat; cook until browned. Drain if necessary and return to pan.


  2. Add carrots (cut small!), peas & garlic; cook until veggies begin to soften. (Cover if you like, this will speed up the cooking process!). Next, add tomato paste and flour; stir until well blended.

  3. Pour in broth/beer and bring to a boil; finish cooking carrots. Be sure to scrap all the little bits from the bottom of the pan. Add final ingredients: bacon, rosemary and salt. Reduce heat and simmer until thick. The consistency reminded me of a sloppy joes.

Assemble:

  1. Pour filling into a 10-inch baking dish; spread evenly. Carefully top with potatoes - spreading evenly! That obviously didn't work for me.... Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Remove and top with 1/2 cup shredded cheese and 1 Tb chopped parsley - return to oven & broil until cheese is melted and potatoes start to slightly brown.



Serve!



This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday & Tuesday's at the Table!



post signature

8 comments:

Chelsey said...

This looks good. Maybe your hubby would like it more with beef roast instead of ground beef? I have a recipe posted for Shepherds Pie that is really fast and easy and works well with leftover roast.

Pam Ponder said...

yummy looks really good thansk

Olivia said...

That looks great! Yum!

SnoWhite {Finding Joy in My Kitchen} said...

thanks for this recipe -- I've been looking for a good shepherd's pie! My hubby grew up eating it... but I'm not that crazy about them because they tend to be bland. This looks far from bland!! Thank you.

Sherrie said...

First of all, good job with all the detailed pictures. Feels like I am right there. I'm with your husband, no peas. The recipe looks good and I will give it a try. I hope that you hop over to #30 to say hi. I'm making marshmallows, sticky fun. Have a good day.

Upstatemomof3 said...

I used to make Shephered's Pie for the family I worked for as a teenager. The kids LOVED it.

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

Oh I love shepherd's pie!! This version looks so good, thanks for sharing.

MrsJenB said...

I just love shepherd's pie! And this looks just great - I love the garlic in the taters. Thanks for reminding me of this fabulous dish that I should add to my rotation.