March 5, 2010

Roasted Red Pepper Sour Cream Puffs

I found this delightful recipe on the wonderful Tasty Kitchen - the picture was pretty and the food contained some of my favorite things... sour cream, cream cheese, dill, roasted pepper... it had to be great right?

Oh. Yes.

So, I have broken down the original recipe posted to Tasty Kitchen (here) by Jaymielo, any revisions I made and my general thoughts are included in these { }.


Roasted Red Pepper Sour Cream Puffs

  • 4 ounces, Cream Cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cups Sour Cream
  • 3 Tablespoons Red Onion, Finely Chopped
  • 3 Tablespoons Roasted Pepper, Finely Chopped
  • 2 Tablespoons Fresh Dill, Chopped
  • 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
  • ¼ teaspoons Black Pepper, Freshly Ground
  • 16-⅓ ounces, weight Tube Of Refrigerated Buttermilk Biscuits
  • ¼ cups Cilantro, Roughly Chopped

  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

  2. Soften the cream cheese in the microwave. {Or... set it out on the counter, fall asleep on the couch for 20 minutes or so, get up - and it's perfectly softened for you!} Add sour cream, red onion {I used 2 Tb, as the onion I had was very strong!}, roasted pepper {Comparing the price of fresh red bell peppers this time of year, and jarred pre-roasted.... jarred was much cheaper}, dill {I love me some dill... but still only used 1 1/2 tsp}, lemon juice and freshly ground black pepper
    and mix well.


  3. Open the refrigerated buttermilk biscuits, cut into fourths (if you have the big biscuits) {I bought the 'Jumbo's'} and shape into 1-inch balls. Push the biscuit balls into a greased mini muffin pan and make an indentation in the center of each biscuit with your thumb. Place a heaping teaspoon of the sour cream mixture on each biscuit and bake for 14 to 17 minutes. {14 was plenty for mine.}


  4. Roughly chop fresh cilantro for garnish.

  5. When the appetizers are nicely browned and the cheese mixture is bubbly, remove them from the oven, and top with the chopped cilantro.



This picture is Jaymielo's courtesy of Tasty Kitchen - much prettier than my final shot! :)
______

The way my kitchen smelled when these were baking was divine torture. I mixed the filling last night and baked them this morning while getting ready for work. This worked wonderful - just packed them and brought to work for a morning snack! I received a lot of positive feedback... and well I ate 5 within the first 30 minutes or so - so I will definitely make these again. Note: Next time however I plan to try flaky biscuits. The buttermilk were good, but kinda dense. Also, I plan to add approx. 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella to the filling. Yum!
I ranked this a 4.75 mitts out of 5 on Tasty Kitchen - if you haven't browsed the plethora of tasty recipes and photos there, what are you waiting for?!?!


This is linked to Foodie Friday ~ click over for great recipes & some St. Patty's ideas! As well as Frugal Friday!

post signature

8 comments:

scribbler-unfocused said...

This looks so tasty (and easy!), and it reminds me of something I used to do that is similar. My old recipe called for the refrigerated puff pastry -- you cut it little squares and proceed in the same way.

Enjoyed your blog!

Scribbler

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Funny but I was thinking puff pastry too. It might be a little more elegant for a dinner party. What do you think? Just bought a jar of peppers so this will happen soon. Thanks.

the country cook said...

loveliness! There's so much you can do with a muffin tin and a tube of biscuits (my favorite is filling the biscuits with hamburger meat mixed with barbecue sauce and topping it off with cheese).

Isn't Tasty Kitchen awesome?

Mrs. P. said...

YUM...you had me from *Roasted Red Pepper*. These look devine!

Blessings!
Gail

Three Peas In A Kitchen said...

Those look absolutely DELICIOUS! Thanks for posting these. You have got some killer recipes on here!

Michael Lee West said...

The puffs are divine! I love the flavors you've combined. Have a great weekend!
Gollum

Chelsey said...

yummy yummy!! I am going to try this!!

Destini said...

I can't wait to try these. They look absolutely delicious!!