March 23, 2010

Brownie Crisps with Peanut Butter Filling

I came across a tasty recipe in a recent issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray - chocolate, peanut butter, cookies... clip and save without hesitation! Last night I tried the recipe... very tasty and will be made again, but with a few tweaks. Here is the Rachael Ray recipe altered with my notes and changes. (Including the name: original was- Peanut Butter Stuffed Milk Chocolate Sandwich Cookies. whew! Since Hubs refers to the cookies as 'thin brownies,' I'm calling them Brownie Crisps.)



Brownie Crisps with Peanut Butter Filling


  • 2 1/2 cups (15 oz.) milk chocolate chips

  • 4 Tb unsalted butter, room temp

  • 1/4 cup plus 2 Tb flour

  • 1 tsp baking powder

  • 1/2 tsp salt

  • 2 eggs, room temp

  • 1/2 cup sugar

  • 1 tsp vanilla

  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

  • 3 Tb powdered sugar

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper - or waxed paper. {Note: I used waxed paper. Worked just fine, but a nice little billow of smoke rose from my oven every time I opened the door. No burned cookies, no burned oven spill-overs... I'm guessing it's the waxed paper. Do not be alarmed-it was never enough smoke to set off our very sensitive alarms.}

  2. In a small, microwavable bowl, melt 2 cups chocolate chips and 2 Tb butter. Be careful not to overheat or the chocolate chips will actually go from chip-form, to liquid and then back to a solid! Heat for 1 minute, stir, then heat 30-45 seconds more.

  3. In a separate, small bowl whisk flour, baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt.

  4. Grab another bowl (and I agree - too many bowls are used!!!) - beat eggs, sugar and vanilla until slightly thickened and fluffy. Mix in melted chocolate until evenly distributed; then flour mixture. Finally, stir in remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Refrigerate the dough 10-15 minutes - it will 'set' and become slightly firm.

  5. Drop dough in rounded tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets a couple inches apart- dough will spread slightly when baked. This next step is completely up to your personal, cookie preference: The instructions said to bake until "...cookies appear bubbly, and still soft, about 15 minutes." 15 minutes lead to some really crunchy cookies. See the picture? A little brown around the edges. We like cookies with some crisp, but a soft and chewy center. 8 minutes was the golden number for this consistency - the cookies were crisp on the outside, but had a brownie consistency in the middle.

  6. Let cookies cool for a moment in the pans, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

  7. While baking & cooling; make filling. In a medium bowl, combine peanut butter, 2 Tb butter, 3 Tb powder sugar and 1/4 tsp salt until smooth and fluffy. Try not to eat too much of the filling.

  8. Once baking, cooling and filling are complete - match up cookies of similar size, stuff and devour!



Many of the cookies escaped before the 'filling' began. Warm and fresh from the oven, these chocolate cookies are hard to ignore. Next time... we may just skip the filling. :)





This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and Tuesdays at the Table!


post signature

9 comments:

the country cook said...

You have this wonderful knack of reminding me how much I miss being able to eat like this!!! :-) These sound delicious - and I like your title better.

Mrs. P. said...

Oh, my...those look heavenly :)

Blessings!
Gail

P.S. Be sure to pop by and enter in for my 100th post giveaway :)

Our Treasured Home said...

You know my love for peanut butter. These look so good.

Brenda said...

Wow, these look really yummy!

Debbie said...

Two of my favorites - chocolate and peanut butter. Yum! We're on a little mini-vacation this week, but I hope you will plan to join me for Crock Pot Wednesday next week. Have a great week.

Chelsey said...

WOW! These look AMAZING!

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Ohmygosh, those look so good!

Melinda said...

Oh my! These look heavenly! What a combination.

ExJW33 said...

What a great cookie, my tongue is hanging out now. Hello, I'm your newest follower from the blog hop. I hope you'll come visit and follow me too. I'd like to have you as one of my blogging friends. Thanks

http://exjw-foodie.blogspot.com/