March 25, 2010

Black Eye Pea Salad

Every week Sarah @ I Blame My Mother has a food network chef challenge - every week it's a different chef and you pick a recipe. I love visiting and seeing the recipes everyone has chosen, but I never quite accomplish experiments in time to participate. Well, this week wasn't different... I'm a day late.

This week was Pat & Gina Neely - I love their show "Down Home with the Neely's." They always serve up comforting & easy southern food. One of my favorites has been their recipe for Black Eye Pea Salad - quick, easy and very versatile.


In my true fashion - I will post the original recipe first, then my version :)


Black Eye Pea Salad - Neely style


  • 1 large tomato, diced

  • 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped

  • 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped

  • 1 jalapeno, finely chopped

  • 2 tablespoons chopped green onions

  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

  • 1/4 cup unseasoned rice wine vinegar

  • 1/4 cup canola oil

  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar

  • Salt and black pepper

  • 2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained

  1. Combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl.

  2. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the rice wine vinegar, canola oil, sugar, and salt and pepper.

  3. Toss all together and let marinate for at up to 8 hours in the refrigerator before serving.


Seriously. It's that easy.


This is the version I made last night-


Black Eye Pea Salad- Tiny Kitchen style


  • 1 roma tomato, diced

  • 3 Tb red onion, finely chopped

  • 1/4 cup roasted red pepper (jarred), chopped

  • 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped

  • 2 Tb pickled jalapeno, finely diced

  • 1 Tb parsley

  • 3 Tb rice wine vinegar

  • 3 Tb canola oil

  • 1/4 tsp sugar

  • 1 (15 oz) can black eye peas, drained


  1. In a medium bowl, whisk vinegar, oil and sugar.

  2. Add remaining ingredients. Toss & cover.

  3. Marinate in fridge for at least 8 hours - serve with chips! Preferably Frito's.



See? So easy to work with what you have... I'm thinking...


  • Instead of parsley, use fresh cilantro

  • Crumbled Bacon. 'Nuf said.

  • Grilled corn cut fresh off the cob.

  • Spice it up? Add a can of Rotel instead of the fresh tomatoes...

  • Serve over grilled chicken or fish.
And did I mention --- this is gluten free?!?!


Well, I think it's about time I grab lunch - which includes black eye pea salad and Frito's!


Be sure to visit I Blame My Mother and the entire food network challenge list - there are some wonderful experiments linked! Next week's challenge is Paul Deen, yum!



post signature

8 comments:

Our Treasured Home said...

Very easy but looks very tasty. This would be a great side dish for many different meals.

SnoWhite {Finding Joy in My Kitchen} said...

yea! I'm happy you joined in today :)

As a salsa -- this looks awesome!

Mrs. P. said...

This looks terrific...we love blackeyed peas and I plan to have some fresh ones in my garden this year :)

Blessings!
Gail

Michael Lee West said...

This looks fabulous with the chips. I HAVE to try this.
XX00

MrsJenB said...

Looks great and so easy! I love the Neelys, too - they're so cute together!

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

Looks so delicious, so happy you joined the challenge.

Jerri said...

Very interesting! I love black eyed peas!

Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

shopannies said...

sounds awesome like a great summer time salad come visit my blog to see what I shared as well
http://shopannies.blogspot.com