Every week Sarah @ I Blame My Mother has a food network chef challenge - every week it's a different chef and you pick a recipe. I love visiting and seeing the recipes everyone has chosen, but I never quite accomplish experiments in time to participate. Well, this week wasn't different... I'm a day late.
This week was Pat & Gina Neely - I love their show "Down Home with the Neely's." They always serve up comforting & easy southern food. One of my favorites has been their recipe for Black Eye Pea Salad - quick, easy and very versatile.
In my true fashion - I will post the original recipe first, then my version :)
Black Eye Pea Salad - Neely style
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- Combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the rice wine vinegar, canola oil, sugar, and salt and pepper.
- Toss all together and let marinate for at up to 8 hours in the refrigerator before serving.
Seriously. It's that easy.
This is the version I made last night-
Black Eye Pea Salad- Tiny Kitchen style
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 3 Tb red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper (jarred), chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tb pickled jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 Tb parsley
- 3 Tb rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tb canola oil
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 (15 oz) can black eye peas, drained
- In a medium bowl, whisk vinegar, oil and sugar.
- Add remaining ingredients. Toss & cover.
- Marinate in fridge for at least 8 hours - serve with chips! Preferably Frito's.
See? So easy to work with what you have... I'm thinking...
- Instead of parsley, use fresh cilantro
- Crumbled Bacon. 'Nuf said.
- Grilled corn cut fresh off the cob.
- Spice it up? Add a can of Rotel instead of the fresh tomatoes...
- Serve over grilled chicken or fish.
Well, I think it's about time I grab lunch - which includes black eye pea salad and Frito's!
Be sure to visit I Blame My Mother and the entire food network challenge list - there are some wonderful experiments linked! Next week's challenge is Paul Deen, yum!