February 12, 2010

Chocolate POM Pomegranate Frosting

I've been determined to make Valentine's themed cupcakes for a few weeks now. There was always some activity - or my energy - getting in the way though. But last night I had energy, I had free time, and I had Seal performing on OETA - it was the perfect time. :)

First, I set out to make cupcake toppers. Last year I saw these adorable creations on Skip To My Lou (an adorable craft blog) & wouldn't you know it - this year I had mini-candy canes and lollipop sticks in hand! Her directions and photos are wonderful; here's a picture of mine:

I did change a couple things while experimenting: 1) I didn't 'cook' my mints as long as she stated, they started running and becoming peppermint puddles by then. It was more like 2 minutes. Once removing from oven I used a thin, very pointy knife to clean up the edges and pinch the ends. 2) I put down wax paper, then my lollipop sticks, then carefully placed on my candy canes. As the candy canes melted, then melted around the lollipop some.


This allowed me to get a better idea of what my final product would be; I could always see the 'pretty side.'



Chocolate POM Pomegranate Frosting:

  • 6 oz. Dark Chocolate

  • 4 Tb POM Pomegranate juice

  • 1/2 Unsalted Butter; room temperature

  • 1 Tb Vanilla

  • 1 Tb Corn Syrup

  • 4 cups Powder Sugar

  1. It is very important the butter is soft. Cream butter in medium speed in your mixer until nice and smooth. Slowly add powder sugar 1 cup at a time, stopping to scrape down the sides with each added cup. It will become almost sandy in texture.

  2. Carefully melt chocolate in a microwave safe bowl; 30 seconds at a time till melted, stirring every stop.

  3. Start adding wet ingredients to butter mixture, starting with vanilla. Add; continue on medium speed to incorporate. Add; corn syrup; incorporate. Lastly add chocolate; incorporate. Raise speed to medium-high for 3-5 minutes. Keep a close eye on the frosting. You are adding volume, removing lumps and changing the texture. Feel free to add another tablespoon corn syrup or POM if you would like a thinner, creamier frosting.

  4. Will frost 24 cupcakes (approx 3 Tb frosting per cupcake - it's rich people!)



I made red tinted, white cupcakes (didn't want to clash with the frosting!) and completed them with dark chocolate shavings... & had some fun with the photo session...










This cupcake is a part of my POM Pomegranate series; and is linked to Foodie Friday!

post signature

4 comments:

the country cook said...

Nice!

Mrs. P. said...

What a lovely idea! Happy Valentines Day :)

Blessings!
Gail

Our Treasured Home said...

These are adorable. I would love to taste one.

Anonymous said...

That is so adorable.

Mrs. Paradis