February 9, 2010

Braised Cucumber

When watching Julie and Julia, oddly enough it wasn't the souffle's, chocolate pie, beef that stood out the most to me... it was the braised cucumbers. I was so intrigued with the idea of cooking cucumbers I had to try it!

I checked out Mastering the Art of French Cooking from the library and copied this (as well as a few others!) recipe for future reference.


Braised Cucumbers

(Julia's Recipe)

  • 6 cucumbers about 8 inches long

  • 1 1/2 t. salt

  • 1/8 t. sugar

  • A 2 1/2 Quart stainless steel or porcelain bowl

  • A baking dish 12 x 1 1/2 inches

  • 3 T. melted butter

  • 1/2 t. dill or basil

  • 2 Tb white wine vinegar

  • 3 to 4 T. minced green onions

  • 1/8 t. freshly ground pepper

As you can tell, Mrs. Child wrote very detailed recipes - which can be very helpful. However... I had to fudge the recipe slightly....

(My recipe)

  • 2 Large Cucumbers

  • 2 Tb. Rice vinegar (it's what I had on hand....)

  • 1 1/2 tsp salt

  • A glass bowl

  • A baking dish - 8 x 8

  • 3 T. melted butter

  • 1/2 t. dill

  • 1/8 t. freshly ground pepper



  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

  2. Peel the cucumbers. As you can see, I used a vegetable peeler - makes fast work!

  3. Cut in half lengthwise; scoop out the seeds with a spoon and discard. The directions say to cut into lengthwise strips about 3/8 to 1/2 inch wide; then cut the strips into 2-inch pieces. Well, that's just being picky. I cut into 2-inch-ish pieces first, then cut into thirds. Goodness... these pictures make me want pickles! Sorry... momentary pregnancy distraction...

  4. In your glass bowl, combine the vinegar, salt, and sugar; then toss in cucumbers. Let stand for at least 30 minutes or for several hours. Drain cucumbers and pat them dry in a towel or paper towel.

  5. Pour cucumbers into the baking dish. Add butter, herbs, and pepper and toss to coat. Set uncovered in middle of oven for about 1 hour. Toss 2 or 3 times, checking cucumbers 'tenderness.' Cucumbers should be tender but still have a bit of crispness.


Conclusion: I really like braised cucumbers! One note however: I should have used twice as many cucumbers as mine were very buttery and dill-y. But yummy! I bought another cucumber recently thinking I could saute it and add to some chicken and pasta......


This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, and Our Krazy Kitchen.



post signature

4 comments:

Caitlin said...

I've never thought of cooking cucumbers before! We always eat them raw on our salads. This sounds amazing!

I make a pasta with some leftover roasted chicken, Parmesan and roasted zucchini every couple of weeks and it's really good...I think your cucumber would work great!

Caitlin

the country cook said...

Do they still taste like cucumbers? And if they do, do you have another vegetable suggestion for those of us who dislike cucumbers (unless, of course, they are pickled)? This sounds intriguing, but I can't get past the fact that it's cucumbers.

Kristen said...

Actually - I didn't think they tasted too much like cucumbers! I would buy 1 large cucumber, 1/2 the rest of the ingredients and give it a try! The butter, dill and baking really change the flavor. And just keep telling yourself it's actually zucchini :)

Chelsey said...

I dont remember this from the movie. I guess i was too distracted by the beef! I may try this one out though bc my hubby loves cucumbers.