February 5, 2010

Black Bean Patties

I had a wonderful lunch earlier this week - my Alma Mater organizes a wonderful event call the 'Distinguished Chef Series.' It is mainly a learning experience for hospitality college students where a chef is brought into the school as a 'guest chef.' The week the chef is here, students work one-on-one learning cooking techniques, organization, planning, kitchen & Front of House management, service, much practical experience. There are two main events - a Demo Luncheon with the chef & a large, formal dinner. I was able to attend the Demo Luncheon!

Chef for this event was Matt Kelly from Lucky's restaurant in Tulsa, OK. His lunch menu was wonderful - black bean patties with chipolte aioli, a winter salad, roasted corn soup garnished with rustic pesto & a wonderfully refreshing lemon tart. Even better - the chef gave us recipes for everything!

I set out to make the Black Bean Patties first & was very pleased! They tasted much like the chef served - plus they are fast, easy, inexpensive, versatile, vegetarian and DH liked them!

This recipe calls for Panko - Japanese breading. It can be found in Wal-Mart, Albertsons and most specialty stores. Check the Asian section.

Black Bean Patties

  • 1 can black beans, drained

  • 1 egg

  • 1 cup Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)

  • 1/2 bell pepper, diced

  • 1/4 cup onion, diced

  • 1 clove garlic, minced

  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro

  • Olive oil

  • Extra Panko for breading

  1. Saute onion, garlic and bell pepper in 2 Tb olive oil until onions are translucent. {His recipe said onion and garlic only, but I wanted to soften the bell pepper as well.}



  2. Meanwhile, smush your beans! You want them the consistency of mashed potatoes; so use your mixer or burn some extra calories and use a potato masher like me. {calories were not my motivation here, not having to clean my hand mixer was.}


  3. Once properly smushed and sauted combine beans, onion mixture, egg, Panko and cilantro. In a medium pan, heat 5 Tb olive oil over medium heat. While heating, form your patties - it is very sticky, so you may want to use a cookie scoop to help measure- using approx. 1/2 mixture per patty. Bread patties with Panko lightly (there is no need to dip in a liquid beforehand because the batter is so moist) and place in oil. Your goal is to brown the Panko, crisp the patty and ensure it is cooked throughout.

  4. Serve hot!


The chef spoke of the versatility of the patty - omit the bell pepper & cilantro and go Italian with Italian seasonings. Or add a little meat with some crumbled chorizo... red bell pepper, green onions; I think shredded zucchini would good. Then to serve.... so many options! Over salad, made small for appetizers, top with Creamy Cilantro Dip. I chose Mexican rice and chunky guacamole- so yummy!



This recipe is linked to Foodie Friday!



post signature

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I love black bean burgers, but I have never tried to make them. I will definitely be trying out this recipe!

ButterYum said...

I love panko, I love black beans, I love garlic, I love cilantro... I love everything in this recipe. I'll definitely have to give these a try soon.

:)
ButterYum

Chelsey said...

This looks great! I am going to try this bc I have a huge bag of black beans that need to be used. How would this taste in a bun served with a side of fries or potatoes?

Self Sagacity said...

Hi Kirsten! The black bean recipe sounds like a keeper. My SO really like black bean

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

Wow these do look yummy, I so agree with mexican rice and guacamole what a winner.

Kristen said...

Chelsey - These would be a great hamburger substitute! Toast some buns with garlic butter, add hamburger fixings - YUM!! I'd even keep the quac for a nice "Guac Burger!"