January 26, 2010

Creamy Cilantro Dip

This was a staple of my college years. My roommates & I made it constantly! It's great with chips, baked tortilla 'chips,' veggies - I even top burritos, tacos and enchiladas with this flavorful dip. Plus - it is very easy, very fast, inexpensive, travels well and can be served hot or cold.


Creamy Cilantro Dip


  • 16 oz. sour cream

  • 1 bunch cilantro

  • 2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, pizza blend, etc.)

  • 1 Tb taco seasoning

  • Chili powder, to taste

  1. Pick the cilantro from the stems - the whole bunch of 'em. I like a LOT of cilantro; absolutely adore the flavor. Carefully, rough chop the cilantro.

  2. In a medium bowl combine everything but the chili powder. Once thoroughly combined - make sure that cilantro distributes evenly! - add a couple pinches chili powder and taste. I always make this a day in advance since, with time, the cilantro and chili powder flavors will become more intense - so be careful with the chili. Start slow; let it set and taste again later to see if more is needed.

  3. Sometimes I feel adventurous and add lemon juice, lime juice, fresh cracked pepper, cream cheese for extra richness, red pepper flakes for extra kick... Mmmmmm.......


  4. If serving hot, pour into a microwave safe dish and top with a little extra cheese :) There's never too much cheese...


This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday & Tasty Tuesday!



post signature

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh wow. This looks amazing - I love cilantro and Mexican food. Yum!

Denise said...

I love cilantro (just mentioned that on my blog today when I showed my easy enchiladas) I will have to try this dip it sounds perfect for me :)

Brenda said...

I've never seen this recipe before but I bet its delicious!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Oh wonderful!! I have never had a dip like this and would love it. Cilantro is one of my absolute favorite things!!! Thanks for linking your post to TMTT.

the country cook said...

You are making me hungry! Sure wish I could eat this...

Wendy said...

This sounds delicious! I just love cilantro - I will have to try this recipe!