November 17, 2009

Green Tomato Pie

What? Green Tomato Pie? Yep. And it is delicious. My Mom has been making this - their garden has an abundance of green tomatoes, see?

That is alot of 'maters! She is experimenting... Green Tomato Pie. Green Tomato Cake. Fried Green Tomatoes (that wasn't really an experiment though....)


So this recipe (courtesy Food Network) and photos are all courtesy of my Mom!



Green Tomato Pie

  • 3 Tb flour

  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg

  • 1-1/2 cup sugar

  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon

  • 3 cups green tomatoes, chopped

  • 1 Tb butter

  • 3 Tb cornstarch

  • 1 Tb vinegar

  • 2 8-inch prepared pie crusts



  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

  2. In a bowl, mix flour, nutmeg, sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch. Add tomatoes and vinegar.


  3. Press one of the pie crusts into the bottom and sides of a pie-pan. Pour mixture into prepared pie crust, and dot with butter. Cover with top crust and make two to four small slits in center to vent. Finish off edges of pie crusts - crimping to seal the two crusts together.


  4. Bake for 20 minutes. Then reduce to 325 degrees for 40 minutes.




Here's an adorable picture of my Mom after making the first pie - crossing her fingers, hoping it tastes good!




Let me just say - It is SO good! Reminds me so much of an apple pie; it's wonderful served warm with vanilla ice cream. And it smells good :)





This recipe linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays!


post signature

5 comments:

Mary said...

What an incredible recipe. Once we are through the holidays I want to give this a try. Have a great holiday.

LTA said...

Hmmm, interesting idea.

I'm a personal raw tomato hater, but all forms of cooked and processed tomatoes are wonderful. This looks amazing, and I think I may give it a shot when next summer comes around. This is such a great example of At Hand Cooking, I think I'll need to expand my baking repertoire to better take advantage of that.

Noah
Ugly Soup: Adventures in At Hand Cooking

heartnsoulcooking said...

I haven't made a green tomato pie in years. I had forgotten about this GREAT!!! pie. THANKS!!! for the recipe.
Geri

Jerri said...

I've never seen anything like it, but I know a lot of people who would love it.

newlyweds said...

How neat, and I was thinking it was going to be a savory pie, but sweet served with ice cream? Awesome!