What? Green Tomato Pie? Yep. And it is delicious. My Mom has been making this - their garden has an abundance of green tomatoes, see?
That is alot of 'maters! She is experimenting... Green Tomato Pie. Green Tomato Cake. Fried Green Tomatoes (that wasn't really an experiment though....)
So this recipe (courtesy Food Network) and photos are all courtesy of my Mom!
Green Tomato Pie
- 3 Tb flour
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 cups green tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Tb butter
- 3 Tb cornstarch
- 1 Tb vinegar
- 2 8-inch prepared pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix flour, nutmeg, sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch. Add tomatoes and vinegar.
- Press one of the pie crusts into the bottom and sides of a pie-pan. Pour mixture into prepared pie crust, and dot with butter. Cover with top crust and make two to four small slits in center to vent. Finish off edges of pie crusts - crimping to seal the two crusts together.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Then reduce to 325 degrees for 40 minutes.
Here's an adorable picture of my Mom after making the first pie - crossing her fingers, hoping it tastes good!
Let me just say - It is SO good! Reminds me so much of an apple pie; it's wonderful served warm with vanilla ice cream. And it smells good :)
This recipe linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays!