I have another tasty Green Tomato recipe today! This is another my Mom has made - she took all the photos and the recipe is from Food Network.
Green Tomato Cake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups diced green tomatoes
- 1 cup golden raisins (optional)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional, I think she used pecans)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan - be sure to get grease into all those creases!
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating well. Stir in tomatoes and raisins and walnuts, if using. Spoon batter into pan and bake for 70-75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Then carefully flip over and remove from pan. Let cool completely before frosting.
The recipe gives instructions for Brown Butter Icing (following) but in these photos, Mom used already prepared, packaged frosting. Just warm for a few seconds in the microwave before drizzling.
Brown Butter Icing
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Cook 6 - 8 minutes, or until butter if lightly browned. Whisk in powdered sugar until smooth. Pour over cooled cake.
This cake is very yummy! I think it would be great for brunches, light dessert, Christmas tea... many options!
This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays - click over for great ideas and last minute holiday recipes!