I love to cook a whole chicken and eat off it for days! And with my handy dandy crockpot it is even easier!
Lemon Sage Chicken
- Whole Chicken (around 4-5 pounds)
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1/2 stick butter or margarine
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- Spices: Sage and Black Pepper
1) First you need to gather and prep all you supplies. Slice your lemon and chop your garlic. Cut off about 10 inches of white yarn or culinary twine. I even go ahead and sprinkle the lemon with dried sage, then pour a tablespoon more onto my cutting board. Cut your butter into tablespoon pats. And get your crockpot out and ready!
2) Reach inside the thawed chicken and remove anything that's still in there.... yuck. Discard! Then rinse well with cold water. Be extra careful here--- salmonella is a nasty thing. Place chicken in the crockpot, breasts side up & wash your hands really, really well.
3) Sprinkle the chicken with black pepper and prepare to get dirty again.... Shove butter and all the garlic inside the cavity. Then very carefully separate the skin on the breasts from the meat...
and slide 2 lemon slices per breast under the skin.
4) Now tuck the skin around the cavity inside and pull the legs together; grab the string. Bring the string under the legs and up...
cross and pull tight.
Tie a couple knots.
5) Take your remaining sage and rub it all over the legs and breast.
6) Cook - covered - on low for 6-7 hours; or until cooked through. Using large forks, spoons, salad tongs, whatever you have on hand for the tasks carefully remove the chicken and place on a platter. Let the chicken rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
7) If you like.... keep all those wonderful juices in the crockpot. Once it has cooled, strain and pour into a plastic container. Refrigerate for a few hours - once it is completely cold you can easily scoop the fat off the surface. Easy chicken broth!!!