August 6, 2009

I'm back! Grades are in for my summer class and I feel a huge weight lifted from me .... and I'm very excited to be back in blog land!!





It is incredibly appropriate for me to start back- introducing the Take Me There Thursday August series for LAS VEGAS!!!!




Bright light city gonna set my soul
Gonna set my soul on fire
Got a whole lot of money that's ready to burn,
So get those stakes up higher
There's a thousand pretty women waitin' out there
And they're all livin' devil may care
And I'm just the devil with love to spare
Viva Las Vegas, Viva Las Vegas ~Elvis Presley



I. Love. Vegas. Love it. I've been twice; hubs has been 9 -- and we can't wait to go back. There are many assumptions and misconceptions surrounding this never-sleeping-city. Some are very much true. Some are very avoidable. And some... you'd have to go looking for it, outside the strip. Vegas has such energy it's contagious - lights, shows, excitement, great food!



Honest to goodness though - here are some tips to follow:

1) Don't leave the strip unless you are on a bus/taxi to Fremont Street or the airport. Unless you are looking for something you shouldn't be looking for - tsk tsk - there is no reason to leave the strip. I have always felt safe on the strip.

2) Don't plan to sleep. Seriously.

(a) If you don't plan to sleep a lot - there is no need for an expensive hotel room.

3) Look beyond the reputation of non-stop gambling. I am not a big time gambler and there is plenty to do - so much in fact that even with my two trips I still haven't experienced everything.




Alright - well let's get going!! Starting with the Bellagio!





Of course, everyone is familiar with the fountains- It is spectacular! Here is a shot of the fountains during the day (it was being checked, that is why they are raised out of the water):




And the same angle at night!





The fountains are always a good show and if you time it right you can catch two shows a night. The music changes often - watch this short YouTube video for some Frank Sinatra!





Another wonderful thing about the Bellagio? Their breakfast buffet - I will warn you it's about $15 a person but believe me it's worth it. Where else can you go have the choice between breakfast, Chinese, BBQ, hamburgers, ice cream, salad, fruit, drinks, adult drinks? In air-conditioning? And play keno while you eat? After a late night, we visit this glorious establishment for brunch and are so full when we leave we don't eat again until dinner. So really it's two meals--- and not a bad price.



A few years ago hubs and I took my lil-sis to Vegas for her 21st -- we ate breakfast late and stayed so long we actually finished our 'brunch' with some of their lunch items. And I won $25 from playing keno-- it's like they paid me to eat there. ;)




After breakfast walk through the Bellagio lobby into the atrium and see their seasonal display - I am always amazed at the detail! Here is the atrium from our last visit:





Bellagio has many dining options - I would really like to splurge and eat at Le Cirque: This AAA Five Diamond restaurant has a wonderful French menu and extensive wine list. As usual I have drooled over - I mean reviewed - the menu; this sounds so delicious:

“Blanquette” de LapinRabbit Symphony:
Ravioli, Roasted Loin, Braised Leg with Crispy Spaëtzles, Riesling Sauce



And the dessert?

Petite Boule de Chocolat, Eclats de Noisette Caramélisées, Glace Chocolat:
Blanc Praline Mousse, White Chocolate Ice Cream, Hazelnut Caramel Crunch, Chocolate Sauce




Need I write anything more?




Fremont Street




Visit old-school Vegas on Fremont Street -- it is a must for first-timers. Mainly for the light show!!! I do love seeing the Golden Nugget, 4 Queens, the Horseshoe, the famous cowboy,



and cowgirl,





but for me, the light show is the main attraction:






Interesting facts---

  • The average light show is six minutes long.
  • The projection surface is currently the largest screen in the world, spanning 1,500 feet in length (Five football fields)
  • The screen contains 12.5 million synchronized LED lamps, including 180 strobes and eight robotic mirrors per block. (source)


Fremont also has a lot of street vendors which provide some great souvenirs.


If you want to play slots the old-fashioned way - there is a little place with a New Orleans theme right in the middle of Fremont that makes you play with real nickels and give you the little buckets. One of the only places I have ever 'hit it big' (and by big people I mean about $65- told you I wasn't a big gambler.) One warning about this place though - all the adult beverages are made with Everclear. If you partake be sure to 1) share! and 2) have a sober-friend serve as a designated walker/bus finder. Be safe; be smart. 3) and know that the Mudslide is the best one. :)





Hope you come back and follow my experiences through Vegas -
I have plenty of stories to share!






post signature

1 comment:

Linda said...

I love Vegas. My favorite thing about the Bellagio is the lobby with the glass ceiling. I could stare at it for hours.
I love buffets and the Bellagio is one of my favorites along with the Paris and the MGM.