July 9, 2009

Take Me There Thursday

Washington D.C. – Week 2

In the Take Me Thursday – Washington D.C. series this month my goal is to feature eateries near the main tourist attractions as well as a few upscale fine dining establishments. This is to give a range of ideas – Washington D.C. can be affordable, enjoyable, of course educational and even a little romantic. It all depends where you look! :)

I had the wonderful opportunity to visit our nation’s capital in high school – it was the Citizenship Washington D.C. Focus trip through 4-H. My parents (came as chaperones & have visited D.C. twice more since) and I had an amazing time and I would love to go back! I will be sure to include bits I remember from our trip 10 years ago.

~
Some sightseeing before we eat….






Reflecting Pool & the Washington Monument



Time for breakfast!


Potbelly Sandwich Works


On the last trip my parents took to D.C. they discovered Potbelly. It’s tasty, it’s cheap and according to the Potbelly website there are 15 convenient locations throughout the D.C. area – that just about makes it perfect too, right?

Established in 1977, Potbelly started as a sandwich counter in an antique store in Chicago. The sandwiches quickly became more popular than the antiques and now there are more than 200 private-owned Potbelly sandwich eateries!

Now, Potbelly is great for lunch – check out ‘The Wreck’ – but I want to talk Breakfast. The most important meal of the day. Sets the mood you could say. So, having the Ham, Mushroom, Egg & Swiss Cheese breakfast sandwich for $2.99 --- sounds like the start of a fabulous day. {Here's the whole menu}

Make sure to hit the ‘random button’ on the Potbelly homepage a few times – quite entertaining!




Lunch:


Martin's Tavern



Experience history while you eat at Martin’s Tavern in Georgetown. Established by Irish immigrants in the 1930’s, Martin’s is full of rich history having served every American president (except Obama) since Harry S. Truman. JKF even proposed to Jackie in Booth #3. The experience of Martin’s Tavern is worth the trip to Georgetown.

The menu fascinates me with variety. If I could order appetizer, soup, entrée and a dessert….. here’s how I’d go:


  • Appetizer - Artichoke Cheese Fritters: Minced baby artichoke hearts blended with Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, served with bleu cheese sauce.
  • Soup - Original Colonial Recipe Brunswick Stew: Chicken and fresh garden vegetables slow cooked for hours. The food that Washington, Jefferson, Franklin and Adams ate.
  • Entrée - Oven Roasted Cheesesteak: A Martin's House Favorite made with Prime Rib -Thinly sliced Prime Rib with sautéed onions and peppers on a baguette with melted Provolone and horseradish cream sauce on the side.
  • Dessert – Bread Pudding with Martin’s House Made Bourbon Butterscotch Sauce topped with a scoop of ice cream.


I’ve had a hard time finding decent photos though… sorry :( It is moderately priced (depending on how much you order!) to make for a great lunch – somewhere to sit back and relax before heading out to see the sights some more.



Dinner:
Hank’s Oyster Bar


I know I shouldn’t use this as a judging factor…. But Hank’s Oyster Bar has a neat-o website that really makes me want to visit the restaurant! The first location opened in DuPont Circle in 2005 and the restaurant has been receiving awards, recognition and media attention (Bon Appétit article for one) ever since.

The menu is moderately priced, ranging from $10-20 per person, and has a nice variety. I immediately began drooling when I saw this on the menu:


Yum.
The restaurant itself is fun and chic with an eclectic ambiance.





Well, another day in D.C.! I hope you will join me next week as we continue through our nation’s capitol!




post signature

2 comments:

newlyweds said...

Sounds like it would be an awesome place to visit again, and eat! I've been once in 8th grade.

I love the restaurant selections, and I would order the same exact thing from Martin's Tavern!

Joyce said...

Love DC and go often for fun and business. I like to go out to Gtown for dinners. Looks like you had some amazing foods in our capital along with some fun sites:)
Joyce