Join Dine & Dish and Cookin’ Canuck for the California Avocado 4th of July Blast, sponsored by the California Avocado Commission.
~~~Last week, hubs was explaining to me a dish he'd tasted at work. It sounded wonderful and he was hoping we could recreate it - so he broke it down the best he could... and he says I got it right!
Pineapple Avocado Salsa
- 1 ripe California avocado
- 1 - 8 oz can pineapple tidbits
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 Tb. finely minced red onion
- Lime juice to taste
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Chop pineapple into much smaller pieces - perfect for chips :) and pour into a medium bowl.
- Carefully cut avocado through to seed, then rotate avocado around knife blade to create a 'seam.' Twist avocado apart and carefully remove seed. Cut avocado into strips while still in shell I could have cut across as well but wanted a very small dice. Scoop out with a large spoon and dice into pieces comparable to pineapple. Carefully mix with pineapple chunks.
- Next, add 3-4 Tb of reserved pineapple juice. Then all remaining ingredients; stir until well combined.
- Let salsa rest for 15-30 minutes to help the flavors meld together.
This would be a perfect topping for grilled chicken, a great appetizer... I'm even thinking it would make an interesting addition to a sandwich instead of mustard/mayo. We added it to our dinner of Couscous and Caribbean grilled chicken - it was a big hit & we will definitely have it again soon!
Visit this blog for a wonderful recipe party! Foodie Friday