June 8, 2009

Movie Monday



Tied for #1 in my list of favorite movies of all time (It's tied with An Affair to Remember) Roman Holiday is the perfect Hollywood romantic classic. Featuring Audrey Hepburn in her Oscar winning, break through role as Princess Ann, and Gregory Peck as the dashing, American reporter Joe Bradley, Roman Holiday tells the story of a sheltered, bored princess desperate to break free and experience life. Adventure, romance and excitement ensue on her 'Roman Holiday.'


One of her first 'adventures' is buying gelato from a street vendor.. it may not seem that exciting, but for a pampered princess that's a big step!

I've always wanted to attempt gelato with it's creamy texture and subtle flavors - so I cracked open my authentic Italian cooking cookbook and made Lemon Gelato.


Lemon Gelato

  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest

  1. Slowly bring milk and cream to a soft boil in a heavy bottomed pan. Watch carefully and stir often; you do not want to scorch the milk or bring to a crazy boil.

  2. Meanwhile, carefully separate eggs. (I kept the whites and plan to make a frittata or something later this week.) Whisk egg yolks and sugar until creamy and pale yellow.


  3. Place your bowl of yolk/sugar on a towel to help keep steady. Very slowly pour in milk, whisking like a mad person. You do not want to curdle your eggs! Once completely combined, pour mixture into a double boiler. Whisk in lemon juice and zest - be careful. You know what lemon juice sometimes does to milk? Curdles it. Do not let your gelato come to a boil. Cook on med-high heat until it begins to thicken. Remove from heat.

  4. You need to cool gelato completely before freezing. I used an ice bath - pour a solid layer of ice into the bottom of a large bowl, then place a smaller bowl on top. Slowly pour gelato into the smaller bowl and stir slowly. It should cool fairly quickly.

  5. Finally, pour into your ice cream maker and patiently wait for the results! If you do not have an ice cream maker, you can pour the gelato into a large plastic container and place in your freezer. Stir occasionally until set. This method will take longer.


I did not take a final shot. I actually made the gelato to compliment another recipe I am working on, so you will have to wait ;)

One wonderful aspect of gelato - you can change the flavor to anything you like. Hazelnut? Chocolate? Even Avocado.... huh.



So gather your sweetie or your bestie girlfriends, make some gelato and enjoy a classic. Don't forget some espresso or champagne either :)


post signature

2 comments:

Joyce said...

Sounds good so far. A few ?s for you. How was the texture and did you use an electric ice cream maker? I find no matter what I make it is never really smooth and creamy so I just bought the ice cream book by the big ice cream guru and I will play with his recipes this summer. I do know from my own experience that the custard type like you made is a whole lot creamer. Some days I just get lazy and want a quick recipe with a smooth texture.
Joyce

Hopefull said...

I love your Movie Mondays! I just found you from Jen's blog 'cause I love lettuce wraps.....but I also love watching movies and making food to go along with the theme of the movie! So, I will be back checking out your movie monday, plus I love your take me there series - what a creative idea. Our first summer movie night will be Fiddler on the Roof - we will make some kind of Jewish fare..mmmmmmm