Soon after our return from vaca, I was trying to quickly put together a dinner with the random ingredients we had on hand (I had grabbed a few groceries but no serious menu plans...). Hubs said a meat sauce and pasta sounded good so I did a quick assessment and threw this together!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup celery tops. chopped small
- 1/2 cup finely chopped or shredded carrots
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 pats margarine or butter
- 1/2 Tb of each parsley, basil and Italian seasonings
- 2 Tb lemon juice
- Cook ground beef thoroughly being sure to break up into small chunks as it cooks. Drain grease if necessary. Put beef in a separate bowl and set aside.
- If there is a lot of grease still hanging out, wipe your pan with a couple of paper towels. Then caramelize onions and garlic in the same pan, add a drizzle of olive oil if needed. Once they are slightly caramelized add bell pepper, carrots and celery tops. Let veggies sweat for 5-10 minutes - you want them very soft and very caramelized.
- Now, add your meat back into the skillet and add your tomato sauce. Stir well, scrapping off the caramelized bits from the bottom of the pan. Add sugar, butter, lemon juice and all seasonings. Let simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- Serve over warm pasta!
This is really a slight variation of my spicy spaghetti sauce. It was very thick and filling; and made great leftovers! Hub really like it - I think next time though I will add a little more tomato sauce..... and no bell peppers.