June 30, 2009

Cupcake Challenge

The Chocolate Flourless Cupcakes I entered in the June Iron Cupcake competition {there is still time to vote!} were not my first attempt....


A few weeks ago in a Movie Monday post, I mentioned the lemon gelato was a part of something I was working on.... It was cupcake attempt #1.



Chocolate Flourless Cupcakes with Raspberry,

Lemon Gelato and Fresh Whipped Cream



The Chocolate Flourless Cupcakes had the same base recipe. To be honest.... I made the cupcakes, poured them into the cupcake liners and realized I forgot the raspberries! So I pushed a whole raspberry in the middle of each cupcake, then baked them. This worked well, but the raspberry flavor wasn't quite strong enough...

The cupcakes were topped with a small scoop of lemon gelato, then whipped cream. I garnished the cupcakes with a fresh strawberry and lemon peel.


Cupcakes + Gelato = Great

Cupcakes + Whipped Cream = Wonderful

Cupcakes + Gelato + Whipped Cream = a little too much! They complimented each other -- but the raspberry (and it was the key ingredient for the competition) wasn't a prominent flavor.



I did really like the presentation with Cupcake attempt #1 - I will use the lemon peel in presentations more often.



In a few days - the winners of the June competition will be announced and the July secret ingredient will be revealed. I will document and share every experiment along the way!



post signature

2 comments:

Jackie @PhamFatale.com said...

I voted for yours. It looks lovely. Good luck!

Nicole Feliciano said...

That is awesome! We’re planning on grilling up a storm this weekend. I just posted a recipe share link on my site. Hope you’ll stop by and add a favorite:

http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/07/friday-feasts.html