May 8, 2009

White Cake, Chocolate Frosting

I made this cake from my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook the same night as the Chili Cheese Fries for my Girls Bible Study. And I was a little rushed :) The cake did not cool completely before I frosted it; but that helps the frosting sorta melt into the cake = very moist!


White Cake

  • 4 egg whites
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • ½ cup shortening or butter, softened
  • 1 ¾ cups sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/3 cups buttermilk or sour milk (*See directions below*)

  1. Allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease and lightly flour cake pans; I used 3 rounds. I don’t know about you… but I don’t keep buttermilk on hand. Whenever a recipe calls for it, I simply measure the desired amount and add 1 Tb lemon juice. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes; it will curdle slightly.

  2. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.

  3. In a large mixing bowl beat shortening or butter (I used unsalted butter) with an electric mixer on medium for approx. 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until well combined. Add egg whites 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to shortening mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Spread batter into prepared pans.

  4. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cake layers from pans; cool thoroughly on racks.

Frosting:
I combined whatever I had in the fridge for the frosting!


  • ½ tub prepared cream cheese frosting
  • ½ tub prepared milk chocolate frosting
  • ½ block softened cream cheese (roughly ½ cup)
  1. Whip until smooth! If you look closely at my pictures you can tell I didn’t let the cream cheese soften enough and I was in a hurry!




Verdict = yummy!



The girls really liked the cake; it was incredibly moist but slightly dense. I will definitely make it again – but may try the recipe using shortening.

{This recipe is linked to Foodie Friday, Tasty Tuesday & Tempt my Tummy Tuesday}

post signature

14 comments:

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

looks good to me!

Joyce said...

Looks delicious and I wish I had a piece right now. So how was the book? Happy Mother's day.
Joyce

imjacobsmom said...

Mmm! Your frosting recipe sounds like a great combo and I'm going to have to try it. How ironic that I just bought canned Duncan Hines Chocolate frosting and their Cream cheese frosting because I bought their carrot cake mix to try (it was on sale!) so I could do this! ~ Robyn

Shirley said...

Yummy! I've saved so many recipes today I'll never have time to make them all.

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Happy Foodie Friday! Have a great Mother's Day ~ Susan

Kim @ Forever Wherever said...

That looks so good...I would love some right now!!!

Have a great weekend!

~Kim

Phillips Phamily Mama said...

I have found that sometimes my cakes taste so much better than it looks! Why is that? :)

newlyweds said...

So pretty, I love all the gooey icing, best part!! Yum.

Samantha said...

Looks and sounds so good, wish I had a piece right now !
Thanks for sharing, have a blessed Tuesday !

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Looks yummy. The three layers looks like a great idea.

Melissa said...

My husband learned long ago that food doesn't have to LOOK good to TASTE good. But your cake looks fine and I'll bet it was delicious!

Brenda said...

Looks yummy! Sometimes its fun to just use up all those little leftovers and it turns out great.

Jerri - Simply Sweet Home said...

YUM! Wish I had a slice!

Nicole Feliciano said...

I think I gained a few pounds just looking at that cake!