May 19, 2009

Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore #1

A few weeks ago for Girls Bible Study, I attempted Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore. Let's just say it was attempt #1 because there will be more variations! It needs some work!




Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore #1


  • 3 chicken breasts, thawed
  • 1 can Rotel, original
  • 1 can stewed tomatoes, drained
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 Tb. Italian Seasoning
  • 1 tsp. parsley
  • Pepper

  1. Cut chicken into strips and place in crockpot. Next sprinkle with all seasonings & garlic, pepper to taste. Drain the Rotel and tomatoes; pour over chicken.

  2. Cook on low for 7-8 hours. Check chicken - it should be cooked throughout and very tender. Using a fork and spoon, stir around, shredding chicken chunks as you come across them.

  3. Serve over pasta!


What went wrong....

  • Even with draining the tomatoes there was an incredible amount of moisture.

  • The flavor was mild.

  • The chickens texture was a little off...

For attempt #2:

  • I would like to try breading the chicken and sauteing for just a few minutes before placing in the crockpot - the breading would help soak up some juice, and sauteing would caramelize the chicken and add extra flavor.

  • Several of the girls do not like onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, or a lot of spice so there were minimal ingredients in the first attempt. For #2, I plan to add a diced green bell pepper, sliced onions, mushrooms & another clove of garlic.

  • I started the crockpot when I left for work so it cooked for a very long time. The chicken was thoroughly cooked but there was just something about the texture I didn't like. I will have to try the recipe on a weekend, and cook on high for just 2-3 hours and see how it affects the texture.


{This attempt is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays - check this blog party for excellent ideas and recipes!}

post signature

5 comments:

newlyweds said...

I agree sometimes the texture of chicken cooked in a crockpot can be kinda weird. Another suggestion is maybe putting it in frozen, and I think the extra veggies would totally give it an extra kick.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Thanks for sharing the good and bad of this recipe. It does sound like a great idea.

Live.Love.Eat said...

Hey there! I love how you broke it down with what went wrong and all. It looks good. Thanks for visiting!!!

Monnica said...

I love chicken cacciatore and i love my crockpot!

This is going on my meal plan for this week.

Did you try the revisions and are there any other alerations you would suggest?

Cookin' Mama said...

Oh... this looks great, and I can't wait to see some of your variations and how they worked out for ya.

I would like to invite you to participate in Slow Cooking Saturdays Recipe Swap @ Crock Pot Recipe Exchange. You can find the schedule of weekly themes at http://crockpotrecipeexchange.blogspot.com/p/slow-cooking-saturdays.html

Keep up the great work!