May 15, 2009

Chicken Scallopine

Ever since Pioneer Woman posted a recipe for Chicken Scallopine I have been dying to make this dish. However with our new initiative to loose weight and get healthier, I knew some changes would have to be made. So, here is my version of Chicken Scallopine!


Chicken Scallopine

{Serves 2}

  • 2 Chicken breast, thawed
  • Pasta - I used angel hair fiber pasta
  • 1 cup milk
  • Pepper
  • 1 clove garlic; finely minced
  • 1/8 cup diced onion
  • 6-8 ounces mushrooms; sliced
  • 1 wedge Laughing Cow cheese
  • 2 Tb. flour

  1. Boil pasta until al dente; drain. I sprayed my pasta with a little bit of Italian salad dressing to keep it from sticking together. Set aside.

  2. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with a little pepper (and salt if you want it) and grill until cooked throughout.

  3. While pasta is boiling & chicken is cooking.... Saute garlic and onion in a tablespoon olive oil on medium heat until caramelized. Add a splash of the milk to deglaze the pan; stir well to get up all the bits from the bottom of the pan.



  4. Next, add the mushrooms and stir slightly. Now just let them hang out for a few minutes. You want them to become nice and soft. Add the rest of the milk, then sprinkle with the flour. Stir carefully. It will thicken slightly.



  5. Last, slice the Laughing Cow and add to your mushrooms. You will have to stir this in - Laughing Cow cheese is wonderful but it melts different. If desired stir in 2 Tb lemon juice and 3 Tb capers.

  6. To plate; pile pasta - add chicken - top with sauce! I added a little chopped green onion for color.


Verdict: We liked it, I wish I would have added the lemon juice and capers though.


{This recipe is linked to Foodie Fridays!}

post signature

8 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oooh, this sounds good! Thanks for the recipe and the demo. Loved it...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

yummy.. I am going to try this! Happy Foodie Friday! Have a great weekend ~ Susan

newlyweds said...

Beautiful!! Love the healthier version. I so have to try this.

Lori E said...

Necessity is the mother of invention and I think you have invented a winner.

Joyce said...

I belong to a cooking light group and we are always trying to cut the fat and calories in recipes. Good job and glad you enjoyed your dinner.
Joyce

Christi @ A Southern Life said...

That looks beyond yummy!

The Bloom Girls said...

My mouth began to water when I saw the mushrooms in the pan. This looks sooo good and I'm with you I love capers.

Thanks for sharing.
Nola

Live.Love.Eat said...

Looks awesome and I love that it's a healthier version!!!!