April 14, 2009

Mac 'n' Cheese

A couple years ago there was a macaroni and cheese recipe in Southern Living magazine that I gave a shot... and it was fabulous. Slowly the recipe has changed, adapted to our tastes ~here is the final recipe!

Macaroni and Cheese

  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 3-4 cups milk
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Pepper
  • Nutmeg
  • 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese - I like sharp cheddar
  • 16 oz macaroni or other small noodle


  1. Boil your macaroni until al dente - make sure it still has a slight bite to it since you will be baking the macaroni later. Spray a 9 x 13 oven safe dish with non-stick spray. Drain pasta and rinse in cool water to stop cooking process; pour into dish and set aside. I used small shell pasta in these photos.



  2. Melt butter in larger skillet over med-low heat. Once completed melted add flour one tablespoon at a time; thoroughly whisk in flour after each tablespoon. Once flour is added let your roux set for a couple minutes, whisking occasionally, to help cook our the 'flour' taste. Add a little pepper, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (chili powder works well also, is a little milder in flavor) and a couple pinches nutmeg.



  3. Slowly add your milk making sure to whisk constantly. You want to work through any lumps as you add the milk, whisk whisk whisk. {The 3-4 cups depends on the type of mac you want - if using a smaller amount of noodles, stick close to 3 cups. But if you like it really creamy, use all 4 cups milk! I like creamy... I use 4} Turn heat to low and continue to whisk. The sauce will slowly thicken - you want a consistency similar to Alfredo sauce. Once it has reached desire consistency add 2 cups cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and there are no 'cheese lumps.'


  4. Carefully pour sauce over noodles; stir until all noodles are well coated with the yumminess. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. I like to sprinkle with just a little more cayenne pepper and nutmeg for color. Bake at 350 degrees until warm throughout and cheese on top is melted. Serve immediately.



This stuff is yummy yummy for my tummy. And it's perfect to make a day or two ahead, keep covered in the fridge and reheat later. I have made this and transported to holidays many time, travels really well!


{This recipe is posted in Tempt My Tummy Tuesday & Tasty Tuesday; be sure to visit these sites for wonderful ideas and recipes!}



post signature

8 comments:

Snow White said...

that looks pretty tasty! we love our Vermont White Cheddar Mac and Cheese :)

Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Some one else posted a crock pot recipe and I had never heard of this. My kids would love this. I do a ton of pasta but have never nailed down a great mac and cheese recipe, so if this has been tweaked even better than Southern Living, I know it's got to be great.
Thanks for linking up with Tasty Tuesday at its new home. :)

elaines630 said...

That sounds just like my grandma's recipe that she passed on to me! Its my absolute favorite!!

Phillips Phamily Mama said...

Yummy! We can always count on Southern Living can't we?

You asked about the chalkboard project: I did a post on it in March. Really easy!

michelle said...

ohhhhh yum! I'll have to try this! I'm like you; I've adapted some mac and cheese recipes, but haven't nailed one down yet! You'll have to let me know if you try the creamed corn. My husband thinks its too sweet, but I'm obsessed! Ate a bowl of it for lunch yesterday! haha.

marineswife said...

I love trying new mac and cheese recipes! Thanks!!

One Red Daisy said...

What would you suggest time-wise in the oven? Sounds like little time, which I like. Mine takes 75 minutes in the oven, and in summer...to long. onereddaisy@gmail.com

Thanks-Suzanne

Crista said...

Just made this and didn't want to serve it--I wanted to keep the whole thing for myself! Thanks for a fantastic recipe! This one's going in the permanent file :)
p.s. Found your recipe thru orgjunkie.com