April 28, 2009

Grilled Chicken, Zucchini & Roasted Red Pepper Couscous

This meal - or a slight variation - has become very common in our household. It is fairly quick, simple, light and a good nutritional balance :) Plus we love to grill!



Grilled Chicken, Zucchini & Roasted Red Pepper Couscous



*The night before, I put 2 chicken breasts in a large plastic baggie with a little Italian dressing, pepper, lemon juice... sometimes I add a few red pepper flakes for pizazz... and put in the fridge to thaw/ marinade*



  1. First you or your lovely assistant need to heat up the grill and get the chicken cooking.

  2. Next prep the veggies. I cut the zucchini on the diagonal to give it a larger surface area so it would grill easier. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and a little all-seasoning. Cut a few onion slices and wash a bell pepper. Add to the grill.


  3. I love using these metals grilling sheets - I can grill almost anything (Pineapple anyone?!?) and not worry about it falling through.

  4. Zucchini will grill very quickly - watch it carefully. Remove once it has browned slightly and set aside. I always place on a microwave safe dish (just to be safe) and put in the microwave to keep warm.


  5. Once the bell pepper has charred slightly rinse off a majority of the black skin; cut in half, scoop out the seeds and chop. The onion should be nice and caramelized by now - remove from grill and chop too. Keep an eye on your chicken; remove as soon as they are cooked throughout.


  6. Pour a couple tablespoons olive oil into a medium saute pan and add bell pepper and onion. Add 1 cup dry couscous and saute on med-low for just a few moments.

  7. Add 2 cups water (check the directions on your couscous container; brands may vary) and cover. Let it softly boil for approx 5-7 minutes. Remove lid - all liquid should be absorbed. Fluff with a fork. If you like, sprinkle with a little lemon or lime juice.



  8. Plate and serve!


The couscous made enough for 2 for dinner, and then a little more for me to take to lunch. I am looking for more couscous recipes - it is a versatile side that is a good source of protein and fiber. Please share any ideas or recipes you use!

This post is linked to Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. Check this link parties for wonderful ideas and recipes!


post signature

9 comments:

Snow White said...

that looks really delicious -- a light, nice summery side dish.

KCShipe said...

Wow thanks for such a yummy looking recipe! I've never cooked couscous before, but you made it look so easy I might have to give it a whirl...
Since I don't have any cool grill sheets, think aluminum foil will work?

Jane said...

I really love couscous and this looks like a delicious way to make it. Thank you for sharing your recipe. It's going on my menu plan for next week!

Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

I am so glad you reminded me of couscous. I used to cook with it alot and haven't in ages. This looks great and so healthy. :)

Mary Beth said...

What a delicious meal...I am definitely saving this for a future dinner...yummy! Thanks for such a great post.

Lynn said...

This looks yummy!

Joyce said...

I like the added fiber.
Joyce

Sara said...

I love couscous too. I recently made a breakfast couscous which is really delicious - recipes and instructions are on my blog! Come and visit!

Emily @ Marvelous Recipes said...

This looks yummy! Thanks for sharing!