April 10, 2009

Coffee, espresso & mocha - oh my!

* This post is a combo for Hooked on Houses "Hooked on" series and Gollum's "Foodie Friday." *
I am hooked on coffee beverages.... again. For a while I worked in a coffee shop & bistro and I loved it. Loved it. Probably one of my favorite jobs - I waited tables, worked in the kitchen, baked, made coffee and espresso beverages, ahhhh. Lately, I've been finding myself craving some of the specialty drinks made there & have been working to recreate them at home.

First - mugs. Very important. And I am picky when it comes to mugs! I love these mugs from Crate & Barrel:


This porcelain, dishwasher safe mug from Target cracks me up!



And this one... well this one just weirds me out:


The wives disappear as the mug grows warm.. weird right?

For me - a coffee mug should be over sized, a good weight and the handle needs to be just the right size - not too small, big enough for at least 3 fingers.

~~~~

In the following pictures I am using a large Christmas mug :)


Flavored Mocha

You will need:
  • Chocolate syrup
  • Flavored Syrup - can I recommend some Toasted Marshmallow syrup, yum!
  • Coffee or Espresso
  • Milk
  • Glass measuring cup, or frothing jug
  • Cinnamon or nutmeg for garnish, optional

  1. Add 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup and 2 tablespoons (or 1 squirt if your bottle came with a pump) of flavoring - I used Hazelnut.


  2. If using espresso - follow directions for brewing 1 espresso shot. Each machine and company will have different directions; please follow carefully. Coffee: Brew 1/4 cup strong coffee, a french press works perfectly for this.


  3. Add espresso or coffee to syrups and stir until combined.


  4. Milk: Microwave milk for 2 minutes; checking often, it may bubble up and over flow. Carefully remove from microwave. Insert frother into milk... ...and turn on, slowly working up and down in the milk. The frother will incorporate air into the milk and it will start to foam. Once size has doubled turn off frother then remove from milk. If you have an espresso machine with a steamer attachment you can heat and froth your milk simultaneously. Follow directions carefully - don't burn yourself! (For both methods, you want to the milk to reach at least 125-130.)


  5. Use spoon to hold back foam while you pour the milk into your mug. Stir well, then either pour or spoon or foam on top. If desired, sprinkle with a little cinnamon or nutmeg or drizzle a little extra chocolate syrup on top..... or do both....

{I used 1 cup milk, and frothed until it was 2 cups; this is the perfect size for my mug!}


This is a very simple break down of how to make a drink at home with or without the fancy equipment. My espresso machine is on the fritz so I've been doing the microwave & french press route. Soon I hope to do a series of posts explaining barista techniques and the break down and definitions of espresso based beverages...



Be sure to check Hooked on Houses and Foodie Friday for wonderful posts, ideas, recipes and inspirations!



post signature

17 comments:

Songbirdtiff said...

My husband would love to have these, he's such a starbucks junkie. I may have to look into purchasing a frother. Thanks!

susan said...

Hope there's a frother in my Easter basket! Great recipes!

imjacobsmom said...

Hey Guys, if you live by an Ikea they are only $1.00. I always thought it would be fun to work in a coffee shop. I bet it was busy though....Robyn

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Nothing better than a frothy mug of coffee! I too am very picky about my mugs. I love the tall mugs, my husband likes the thick diner mugs...my lips must not be big enough, I end up with coffee all over! LOL!
You should check out my latest post "What makes everything better?" Please contribute!
Have a wonderful Easter!
~Misti

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today - I'm with you - that Target mug cracks me up!

Kathleen said...

That looks delicious..
Target mug is funny...I do not like coffee in a paper cup..but I know...sometimes you have to! :)

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

I've always been curious about the little frothers. I've
always thought they're too small to do the job but... by the looks of your photos it seems successful. I'd like to give it a whirl.


I've been on a blogging break a medical hiatus...so now, I've been enjoying the stroll through posts I've missed. Come for a visit I've got some fun Easter confections.

Sweet wishes,
Sara

Daly Essentials said...

I agree, the type of coffee cup makes all the difference!

Martha said...

I love lattes but they are an "out" treat -- at home we have a strong brewed French roast with cream!

SusanQ said...

Your mocha sounds wonderful! I can't wait to see more of your barista tips :)

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Thank you for taking the mystery out of making a 'specialty' drink. I love it! Yum!

Nicole ~ said...

I agree with you on the mug thing, it does have to over sized & the handle needs to be big enough for three fingers.

Your Flavored Mocha looks wonderful! I am really big on flavored coffees, I cannot wait to try this one.

Have a wonderful weekend, Nicole

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Looks yummy! Have a wonderful Easter weekend!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Love those Crate & Barrel mugs--and I agree, the bigger, the better! This looks delish. Thanks for joining my party this week! :-)

Leigh of Bloggeritaville said...

YUM!!!!
Thanks for dropping by my blog...it was my roadmap to yours! And I love it! I also love new friends!
Be sure to drop by tomorrow for my giveaway! Thank you for your bloggy friendship. It warms my spirit.
Happy Easter!

newlyweds said...

Oh I am in love, that espresso looks so good!

Chrystal said...

ooooh I think I will go do this like, right now... In my favorite mug (the one with Brookelynn's big face on it!) =) Hope all is well!