March 27, 2009

Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream

Flipping through cookbooks the other day I came across some scrap paper full of scratchings for a recipe.... Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream. I developed the recipe when I was in a Culinary Arts program in high-school - seeing the recipe brought back a lot of memories!

So when strawberries went on special I knew exactly what I was making! The original recipe makes a large quantity & is sized for more of a commercial ice cream maker. This recipe is adapted to fit my ice cream maker.


Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream

Before you begin - get your mise-en-place (everything in place) together. Go ahead & have your 3 egg yolks separated & in a bowl. Have everything measured & ready to go. This recipe moves fairly quickly & you don't want to burn.curdle.scorch anything or you have to start all over.

  • 2 cups chopped, fresh strawberries
  • 4 Tb brown sugar
  1. Simmer on low until strawberries are soft. There will be a lot of syrup - this is ok! Remove from heat & puree. Set saucepan or bowl (depending on method used to puree - I pureed with a hand-held blender directly in the saucepan. If using your blender, pour back into saucepan or a bowl) in a bowl of ice to help cool quicker while you continue...


  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

  1. Scald milk to 140 degrees on med/low heat. Be careful not to burn the milk. Yuck. In fact, you may want to use a double boiler just to be safe.


  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 4 oz. cream cheese cut into cubes
  • 1 Tb lemon juice (optional)



  1. Whisk yolks & sugar together in a medium bowl - should have a beautiful, creamy yellow color & a slightly creamy texture.

  2. Take bowl with egg yolks & set it on a kitchen towel - this will hold it in place. Very slowly pour, & I mean very very slowly people... let's say slowly dribble instead of pour actually... scalded milk into egg yolk mixture while whisking like a mad person. Whisk & dribble until all milk is added to egg yolks. And then whisk a little more. You want to make sure that you don't 'scramble' your eggs when adding the hot milk - you want the creamiest texture possible.

  3. Next, return your yolk-milk creaminess to the saucepan or double boiler. Add cream cheese one cube at a time, whisking carefully. Cook over med-low heat stirring constantly until mixture has thickened. Think just slightly thinner than pudding & it coats the back of your spoon. Remove from heat. Slowly add 1 Tb. Lemon Juice* - be careful not to curdle your ice cream.

  4. By now your strawberry puree should be cool. Remove from ice bowl. Add some fresh ice & set your yolk-milk bliss in the ice (still in the sauce pan or bowl of course) to cool. Stir to help release the heat quicker. Once cool - fold in strawberry puree. Now you can pour it into your ice cream. It took about 30-40 minutes to set.

*The original recipe calls for a little lemon zest - but I didn't have a lemon handy, so I just added juice. I keep a bottle of lemon - & lime - juice in the fridge.*



I'm sorry for this final picture - it's not a pretty shot! But honestly... Twilight was paused & I was very anxious to get back to the movie & eat ice cream!!
This is great topped with fresh strawberry slices, chocolate ice cream topping or.... &.... shortcake.


{This recipe is linked to Foodie Friday}



post signature

6 comments:

Shirley said...

I'm in heaven! I'm picking up strawberries the next time I shop so I can make this.

Gollum said...

Oh, I love this!!!!

Chandy said...

Ok, now we're talkin'! I'd love to learn this recipe so my dh will get me an ice cream maker or at least make room in the freezer. ;-)

Marsha said...

My DH would LOVE this...

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Happy Foodie Friday! Have a great weekend ~ Susan

xinex said...

This is yummylicious!...Christine