March 24, 2009

Slow Cooker Hot Fudge Cake

This crock pot dessert is something I made on vaca last week. The original recipe comes from Betty Crocker - I have doubled the recipe & made it easy to travel. So... first I will go through how I make the cake, then provide the link for the original (and smaller) recipe on Betty Crocker.


Slow Cooker Hot Fudge Cake

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour

  • 1 cup granulated sugar

  • 4 Tb baking cocoa

  • 4 tsp baking powder

  • 1 tsp salt

  • 1 cup milk

  • 4 Tb vegetable oil

  • 2 tsp vanilla

  • 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

  • 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar

  • 1/2 cup baking cocoa

  • 3 cups hot water

  1. With a permanent marker, write "Bag #1" and list ingredients -Flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, salt - on a quart sized plastic baggie. In a medium bowl, mix flour, granulated sugar, 4 tablespoons cocoa, the baking powder, salt and nuts if desired. Pour into plastic baggie; carefully press out excess air (be careful or you will get a big puff of cocoa!) and seal shut. Set aside.

  2. On another quart size plastic baggie, write "Bag #2" and list ingredients - Brown sugar, cocoa. In same bowl as earlier, mix brown sugar and 1/2 cup cocoa. Again, carefully press out extra air and seal shut. Set aside.
  3. In an airtight container (needs to hold at least 4 cups) combine oil, vanilla and milk. Keep refrigerated until you are ready to begin baking.

  4. To begin cake: If possible (I haven't found it completely necessary) spray 4-6 quart crock pot with non-stick spray. In crock pot combine Bag #1 and milk mixture until all lumps are gone. Spread evenly in bottom of crock pot.Take container milk mix was in - pour in the 3 cups hot water {hot tap water works just fine} then slowly mix in Bag #2 until smooth. Carefully pour over batter in crock pot. {I hold my spoon over the batter and pour over the back of the spoon onto the batter to cut back on splashes}
  5. Cover and cook on high heat setting 3 to 4 hours or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

  6. Turn off slow cooker. Let cake stand uncovered 20 to 30 minutes to cool slightly before serving. Spoon warm cake into dessert dishes. Spoon sauce over top.


This is how I prepare the cake when taking it to work - it travels well with everything divided into its own little container. I simply prep everything the night before & then mix it up once I'm at work. It makes a great mid-afternoon office snack!

I didn't take a picture of the finished product - be here is Betty Crocker's:



I must say that the recipe is not incredibly sweet. It absolutely requires ice cream or cool whip. Absolutely. I prefer ice cream....


What do you think about adding some chocolate chips? Or instead of vanilla, different flavored extracts? I have been wanting to experiment with caramel chips, mint chips, chocolate chips, almond extract.....


Here is the link to the original recipe on Betty Crocker - Slow Cooker Hot Fudge Sundae Cake


Enjoy!


{This recipe is linked in Tasty Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Kitchen Tip Tuesday, and Blissfully Domestic .}


post signature

18 comments:

Sarah said...

This looks good! I have never made a cake in the crock pot. The additions would be fun to play around with but do you think the chips would burn? I'm no expert...just a girl who has left choc chips in the microwave too long while trying to melt them :) Having them in batter may make all the difference.

JUST ME, THE MOM said...

okay - this one is going into the recipe file for sure! Can't wait to try it out!

You might like this recipe also that I blogged recently:
http://alpinekleinbunch.blogspot.com/2009/03/prepare-to-be-amazed.html

Yummy chocolatey also:)

Kristin K

Lori said...

Kristen, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.

I've never tried/thought to make a cake in a crock pot. Thanks for the idea!

Kristen said...

I love the way you made this recipe portable. When we go camping, I like to take mixes like this along and why not the crockpot, too?! Thanks!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Hey Kristen, I am so glad you joined us, this week. I love my crock pot, these day. (I am actually cooking something in it, right now.) So, this is great! Thanks for sharing your recipe and linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Kim @ Forever Wherever said...

That's a great recipe and I like what you did with the bags! Thanks for always bringing good stuff girl! Love it!
~Kim

betterislittle said...

Oooooohhh.. Can't wait to take this to our next church fellowship! Thank you for the great recipe!!

Samantha said...

Hi Kristen,
Thanks so much for visiting my blog, this recipe sounds so very good, I cant wait to try it. I love to use the crockpot. Thanks
for sharing, have a very blessed week !

Shynea @ Mornings With Mom said...

Oh my! This looks absolutely delicious. I am definitely going to try this recipe. Thank you so much for posting it.

Jerri - Simply Sweet Home said...

I've seen this recipe before on Betty Crocker and shared it on my blog last year. Thanks for reminding me about it.

Lori said...

Well, how unique is this!? I don't know many housewives who don't love their crockpot AND hot fudge cake! This one is a winner :) And thanks for the "travel" directions. :)

Brenda said...

wow, how rich and delicious looking!

Sherry said...

Yum! This sounds amazing! :D

melinda said...

holy moly! you jsut blew my mind! i didn't know that was possible! thank you:)

The American Homemaker said...

I love making everything in the crockpot, including dessert :) Yum!

Shirley said...

OMG! I'm going to gain 20 pounds if I keep reading your blog. This is another one I just have to try!

robinrane said...

I've been meandering around your bloggy home and had to comment on this one! I love the idea of making a cake like that and that last picture has left my mouth watering!!! yumalicious!
Robin Rane'
All Things Heart and Home

Kimm at Reinvented said...

Yum, this sounds fabulous. I've been looking for a good crock pot dessert recipe, thanks for sharing!