Add the eggplant first - it takes longer to cook. After 5 minutes or so, start adding your zucchini, squash and bell peppers.
See my pretty lines... very colorful and healthy!
Next I added mushrooms - these were not in the recipe, but I had them leftover from something else, so I just added them. Then, peel your tomato and cut in half. Squeeze each half (over sink or trash can!) getting out all the seeds. Chop and toss in.
Add some thyme and pepper and let those veggies sweat it out for another 10-15 minutes; depending on how small you cut the veggies. If they start to stick to the bottom of the pan, you may need to add a little more olive oil.
Sprinkle with a little basil and parsley - and serve!
We really enjoyed it - I think it would be great with grilled chicken.... or tossed with some penne and pesto.... or slice all veggies instead of dice, brush with olive oil/pesto and grill..... yum. The only thing I would change is to skin the Eggplant. The recipe said to keep the skin on - so I did - but I don't like eggplant skin because it tends to be very tough and slightly rubbery to me.
I had intended us to Ratatouille while we ate dinner - a stay-at-home-date - but we actually enjoyed our totally vegetarian dinner while watching Jurassic Park 2. Ironic?
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups small diced onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cups medium diced eggplant, skin on
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves (I used about 1- 1 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1 cup diced green bell peppers
- 1 cups diced red bell peppers
- 1 cup diced zucchini squash
- 1 cup diced yellow squash
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tb thinly sliced fresh basil leaves (Again, I used dried, about 2 tsp.)
- 1 Tb chopped fresh parsley (yep.. dried, 1 Tb)
- Freshly ground black pepper
This recipe is linked in Tasty Tuesday's, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Blissfully Domestic & Kitchen Tip Tuesdays.