March 10, 2009

Ratatouille

I have been wanting to make Ratatouille since the Pixar movie came out (that movie always makes me want to cook, bake, eat...), it's almost as if you can smell the wonderful French food while watching! {I see a Movie Monday post in the making here....}

I set out with an Emeril Ratatouille recipe....

{The Veggie Line-Up}

Saute the garlic & onions in a little olive oil until slightly caramelized.




Add the eggplant first - it takes longer to cook. After 5 minutes or so, start adding your zucchini, squash and bell peppers.




See my pretty lines... very colorful and healthy!



Add some thyme and pepper and let those veggies sweat it out for another 10-15 minutes; depending on how small you cut the veggies. If they start to stick to the bottom of the pan, you may need to add a little more olive oil.

Next I added mushrooms - these were not in the recipe, but I had them leftover from something else, so I just added them. Then, peel your tomato and cut in half. Squeeze each half (over sink or trash can!) getting out all the seeds. Chop and toss in.


Sprinkle with a little basil and parsley - and serve!





We really enjoyed it - I think it would be great with grilled chicken.... or tossed with some penne and pesto.... or slice all veggies instead of dice, brush with olive oil/pesto and grill..... yum. The only thing I would change is to skin the Eggplant. The recipe said to keep the skin on - so I did - but I don't like eggplant skin because it tends to be very tough and slightly rubbery to me.

I had intended us to Ratatouille while we ate dinner - a stay-at-home-date - but we actually enjoyed our totally vegetarian dinner while watching Jurassic Park 2. Ironic?


Ratatouille
(courtesy FoodNetwork.com)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups small diced onion
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 2 cups medium diced eggplant, skin on
  • 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves (I used about 1- 1 1/2 tsp dried)
  • 1 cup diced green bell peppers
  • 1 cups diced red bell peppers
  • 1 cup diced zucchini squash
  • 1 cup diced yellow squash
  • 1 1/2 cups peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
  • 1 Tb thinly sliced fresh basil leaves (Again, I used dried, about 2 tsp.)
  • 1 Tb chopped fresh parsley (yep.. dried, 1 Tb)
  • Freshly ground black pepper



This recipe is linked in Tasty Tuesday's, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Blissfully Domestic & Kitchen Tip Tuesdays.



post signature

12 comments:

newlyweds said...

Beautiful and so healthy, totally agree that it would be greeat with some pasta and meat, lol! Love the pictures.

Kristen's Mom said...

Looks great! It would be good with grilled chicken. I would like for you to make this for me.

Kim @ Forever Wherever said...

This is the perfect recipe for when my garden starts producing! Can't wait! It's going to be a little while, but I'll save this.
Thanks for joining us!
~Kim

Erika said...

Looks yummy will have to save this one for when the garden kicks into gear.
I love eggplant and growing it is fun.

Erika @ Homegrown Family

Erika said...

Looks yummy will have to save this one for when the garden kicks into gear.
I love eggplant and growing it is fun.

Erika @ Homegrown Family

Jerralea said...

Looks yummy!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Looks great and healthy! Thanks for the recipe and linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Stephanie said...

You mean Ratatouille is an actual meal? Thought it was just a movie! I will have to try this sometime!

Brenda said...

I never actually knew what ratatouille was made up of!

Kate said...

It looks delicious. I've never tried Ratatouille before, but it's been on my list for a long time also.

Sherry said...

Yum! I've never had Ratatouille either. it sounds delish!

Amy @ Finer Things said...

Is now a good time to admit I haven't even seen the movie?!

Thanks for sharing a healthy, yummy looking recipe!