February 6, 2009

Tilapia with Spicy Corn

Let me say that I love getting magazines in the mail, especially Rachael Ray. I read them several times, book mark pages, make notes - I can spend hours on them! Recently, I've been asking DH to flip through the RR & pick out a couple of dishes he'd like me to try. These little experiments lead us to this wonderful recipe; I've tweaked it some...and now probably make it once a week! It's inexpensive, fairly healthy and very quick.


Tilapia with Spicy Corn

  • 2 tilapia fillets (I buy them frozen & individually wrapped, it's perfect when cooking just for two!)
  • 1/8 cup mayo (use one low in fat)
  • 2 tsp. chili powder
  • Pepper to taste
  • 1/2 tsp taco seasoning
  • 2 cups frozen or fresh corn
{If tilapia is frozen; thaw in microwave. If in individual, sealed pouches; place in bowl of room temp water for about 10 minutes. }
  1. Combine mayo, chili powder, pepper and taco seasoning in small bowl. Spread 2 Tb of mayo mixture over bottom of 9 x 9 baking dish. Place tilapia fillets (unwrapped!) in dish; then spread remaining mayo mixture over fillets. Cover with corn.
  2. Bake at 425 degree for 20-30 minutes; or until fish is firm and flaky. The mayo, spices and corn combine for a built in creamy, side dish!

{Link to Rachael Ray's Tilapia with Roasted Corn}


I always serve this with black beans; a quick, healthy and inexpensive side!



Black Beans

  • 1 can black beans
  • 1/8 tsp chili powder
  • Pinch of red pepper flakes
  • 2 Tb Lime juice
  • Pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 Tb minced onion
  1. Saute onion and garlic with a teaspoon of olive oil until slightly caramelized. Add seasonings; cook for a few minutes to open spices. Add black beans; bring to a soft boil for 1-2 minutes. Add lime juuce and turn to low until ready to serve.

This dish feeds us for just a couple of dollars! The corn, mayo and tilapia are bought in bulk/economy packages which really cut down the price. And everything can easily be doubled to make for company.

{Yes, I need to work on my photography skills. Also, the picture doesn't look nearly as tasty it does in real life; I think a garnish would help, perhaps chopped cilantro? Yum!}

Linked in: Kitchen Tip Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday's , Tempt my Tummy Tuesday,

post signature

6 comments:

newlyweds said...

Yummy! I love Rachael Ray and I love quick easy meals. Thanks for posting this, I am so bookmarking it.

Glad you enjoyed the enchiladas!

Brenda said...

High in fiber, I like that. Looks great!

mub said...

I love tilapia, thanks for sharing the recipe!

Kim @ Forever Wherever said...

I've always like Tilapia and we eat black beans all the time. I like the spices you've used. Thanks for sharing your recipe on Tasty Tuesday!
-Kim

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Hi Kristen. Thanks for joining us for Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. I love your blog design.

Messy Jessy said...

I never even thought of dressing up black beans. I always just heat and eat them from a can.

My eyes have been opened!
Thanks!