Rated PG-13 for brief language, sex and drug references
This romantic-comedy starring Brendan Fraser, Alicia Silverstone, Christopher Walken and Sissy Spacek is absolutely delightful. Believing the beginning of a nuclear war is at hand, couple Calvin & Helen (Walken & Spacek) lock themselves in a bomb shelter.... for 35 years. The movie surrounds their son, Adam - who was born and raised in the shelter, as he enters the world 'above the ground' for the first time. Touching and humorous - it depicts our change in culture, relationships and family dynamics. An interesting perspective into dating, charm and chivalry as well....
...And is the perfect Slumber Party/Girls Night Chick Flick!
- Have guests dress from the '50's! (I love dressing in the '50's and look for any reason to do so!)
- Serve Sushi and Champagne Cocktails for appetizers.
- For dinner: Serve Meatloaf, Mashed Potatoes and Rob Roy's!
- Activity: Let loose and dance a little! Create a playlist for the party with hits from the 50's thru the 90's.... perfect for background music while guests arrive... and don't be afraid to break into the YMCA, Macarena, or the Twist!
- Or make this a couple's event, and go swing dancing after dinner and the movie.
- 6oz Champagne
- 1 sugar cube
- dash bitters
- Soak the sugar cube in the bitters for a few seconds. Put the cube into the bottom of a flute glass, then pour the Champagne over it. Usually garnished with a lemon twist.
- The standard bitters to use with this would be Angostura bitters. Pretty much any liquor store would stock these. They have a specific flavor, and only a single drop will add flavor to your drink. It's very concentrated!
- If you don't have sugar cubes, use 1/2 tsp of sugar or equivalent.
(recipe courtesy of Wine Intro)
- 1 ounce Johnnie Walker® Red Label® blended Scotch whisky
- 1/2 ounce sweet vermouth
- 1 dash bitters
- 1 cherry
- Pour Johnnie Walker® Red Label® blended Scotch whisky, sweet vermouth, and bitters over ice.
- Stir the cocktail, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with cherry.
(recipe courtesy of All Recipes)