February 24, 2009

Chicken Piccata

Chicken Piccata is one of DH's favorite foods to order at a local restaurant - since we are cutting back on how often we eat out... a while ago I set out to replicate his favorite. He loves it and requests it often! :)

Chicken Piccata

  • 1 large chicken breast - thawed
  • 3 Tb. Flour
  • 3-4 Tb Margarine or butter
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 2 cups milk
  • Pinch Red Pepper flakes
  • Pepper to taste
  • 1 clove garlic, finely minced
  • 3 Tb. capers
  • Pasta
  • Parmesan Cheese (optional)


Sauce:

  1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add flour - whisk to work out any lumps. Next add seasonings (red pepper flakes, pepper and garlic). Cook for a few minutes, stirring often, to open up the spices and to cook out the flour taste.
  2. Add lemon juice, again working out the lumps. Once smooth, slowly whisk in milk. Again - the key here is no lumps! Keep on medium to low heat stirring often until thickened.

Chicken:
  1. We have two alternatives. 1) Hubby cooks the chicken on the grill, then I cut into slices/chunks. 2) I cut the thawed chicken breast into strips and saute in a little olive oil until cooked throughout. I usually add a little lemon and cracked pepper when sauteing.
Pasta:
  1. While sauce is thickening, boil pasta in salted water. (I cook a good handful of Angel Hair= roughly 3 cups once cooked.) Strain and run water over pasta to rinse. I then toss with either a pat of margarine, olive oil and even a little Italian dressing to keep pasta from sticking.
Plate:
  1. Once all components are finished, layer: Pasta, Chicken, then Sauce. Sprinkle with capers and a little Parmesan cheese. This makes 3 servings for us. We always eat it out of bowls - so when plating I go ahead and divide between 2 bowls and a Tupperware container. Keeps us from eating more and helps me out the next day!


It is quick, easy and very inexpensive!

Posted in Tasty Tuesday, Kitchen Tip Tuesday, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, and Blissfully Domestic, Foodie Friday,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Separate note: I want to share a new blog I found - glorious! There is also a v-e-r-y nice giveaway currently going on over there -be sure to check her out!

post signature

14 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Ooh yum! I'm bookmarking this to try. I have everything but the capers on hand.

Love your blog name. I have a tiny kitchen too!

Kaycee said...

That sounds yummy. I love chicken piccata too.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Hi Kristen. I love quick, easy, and inexpensive. Thanks.

PamperingBeki said...

I love chicken piccata!

I usually serve it over parmesan risoto. YUM!

Sherry said...

Oh, wow! This sounds scrumptious! THanks for sharing! :D

Gollum said...

This is a definite keeper. Even Young Bandwith (who is the pickiest of eaters) will love this.

Stacey said...

I am definitely going to make this!

Susan said...

Happy Foodie Friday!

Susan

imjacobsmom said...

I'm saving this recipe - this absolutely sounds delicious! ~ Robyn

Nancy Jane said...

My kind of dinner. If it's in a piquant sauce, I'll eat it. Recipe is printing out as I type...Nancy

mbkatc230 said...

Love chicken piccata, and it looks easier to make than I thought it would be. Definitely going to try this! Kathy

The Quintessential Magpie said...

This looks divine! Oh, how I wish I had some right now!

Thanks for sharing...

Happy FF!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Lori said...

This is a different take on chicken piccata than I'm used to. I'll have to give this one a try. I like the idea of dishing up your leftovers right away into a container. I'm going to start doing that, too!

Danelle Ice / Homemaker Barbi said...

Hi Kristen! This recipe has been chosen to appear in this week's Homemaker Barbi Take & Make Menu Plan. Thanks for such a great frugal recipe!

Danelle Ice from Homemaker Barbi