January 27, 2009

Snow Days

Yesterday it started sleeting. Eventually it turned to little ice pellets. Needless to say I was able to leave work early and am now -after a few adventures - cozying up on my couch for a snow day!

The adventures I mentioned? They involved scraping ice off my vehicle to only discover where I had started was already iced over again, a cantankerous battery and slipping and sliding my way through campus and across town! Two hours after I left work, I arrived at home and immediately collapsed into a hot bath. Once thawed I set to make dinner - while repeatedly scrapping my car I kept thinking of tomato soup and a hot cup of tea! So.......

Creamy Tomato Soup

1 can tomato sauce
1 can diced, no salt added, tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tb finely minced onion
2 tsp dried rosemary
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 cups half and half
Pepper to taste

1. Saute onion and garlic in a Tb of olive oil until slightly caramelized. Add rosemary, pepper flakes, and pepper. Saute for 1 more minute to help open and release the rosemary.

2. Add diced tomatoes. Bring to a slow boil while working to break up tomato chunks with wooden spoon. Add tomato sauce. (I like to add 1 Tb lemon juice and 1 Tb sugar to help break up the acidity, this is optional.) Simmer for 10 minutes.

3. Slowly stir in half and half; be sure to continuously and gently stir soup while adding the half and half. Simmer for a few minutes to bring the temperature back up. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese and serve! Yum! {Approx. 2-3 servings}

~Croutons are also excellent with this soup. I wanted to note about the bread in my photo - I found pre-sliced, frozen garlic bread which is perfect for singles and doubles. Can be cooked in an oven, microwave or toaster oven.~


Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to cozy back up with my cup of coffee and peruse through the wonderful ideas in Rhoda's Southern Hospitality Projects of 2008 until Martha Stewart comes on. :)

{Please pray for those out and about today in this icky weather - safe travels!}

post signature

2 comments:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Kristen, thank you so much for stopping by, it's very nice to meet you. There are so many of you new ladies stopping by & I look forward to getting to know you, so please come back often.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the projects post, that was a fun party.

Jen r. said...

I love tomato soup on a cold day! It's such a winter food! This looks really yummy!